Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Medela storage bottles smell plasticy

Default Medela storage bottles smell plasticy

I have a bunch of new, sealed plastic 80 ml Medela storage bottles. I recently opened them up, and they have a very strong plasticy smell. I'm worried it will affect the taste or smell of my bm if I use them. I've already washed them with dish soap and hot water and sterilized them in my Ameda microwave sterilizer.

Has anyone else experienced this? Does anyone have any suggestions on getting the smell out?

It's round on the ends and high in the middle

Default Re: Medela storage bottles smell plasticy

I used Medela bags exclusivly and never had that issue. How do they smell now that you've washed them?

IDK...if it was me, I dont think I'd use them. and I'd call Medela and ask for a refund.

Jessica
    Fancy Momma to the Divine Miss M, 2/15/07 BF'ed for 17 months!
    Currently TTC Baby #2

Hello babies. Welcome to Earth. It's hot in the summer and cold in the winter. It's round and wet and crowded. At the outside, babies, you've got about a hundred years here. There's only one rule that I know of, babies - Damn it, you've got to be kind. - Kurt Vonnegut

They still smell plasticy after washing and sanitizing. Maybe just a little less plasticy, but still plasticy.

It's round on the ends and high in the middle

I wouldn't risk it. I dont remember my bags ever having a smell to them.

Jessica
    Fancy Momma to the Divine Miss M, 2/15/07 BF'ed for 17 months!
    Currently TTC Baby #2

Hello babies. Welcome to Earth. It's hot in the summer and cold in the winter. It's round and wet and crowded. At the outside, babies, you've got about a hundred years here. There's only one rule that I know of, babies - Damn it, you've got to be kind. - Kurt Vonnegut

Follow-up: I contacted Medela to ask them their advice. They advised me to boil the bottles by putting the bottles and cold water in a pot, bringing the water to a boil, and boiling for 10 minutes. This did the trick! The bottles don't smell plasticy anymore.

That's interesting. Mine have taken on a weird smell from the milk and I haven't been able to get it out. I'll try this to see if that works!
    Tracie

Mommy to
    Lilah 10/08 nursed 25 months
    Beatrix 01/11 nursed 30 months

My collection bottles also had a wierd smell so I just switched to the 8oz glass collection bottles.......although heavier, they will last forever!