Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Another breast flange question. Does it matter?

Question Another breast flange question. Does it matter?

I didn't want to hijack the other post of a similar nature so here I am.

Just a question related to the size of my Ameda breast flanges. I read this:
    http://www.ameda.com/breastpumping/most/fit.aspx

...and I think the ones I have are too tight. About two thirds of my nipple rubs against the sides during pumping. It doesn't hurt at all and causes me no irritation. But does it really significantly reduce how much milk you can get out? If not I shall just keep the ones I have. They look ridiculous on my breasts though, which seem to be huge in comparison!

In follow up to my last post, I am going to a breastfeeding support group today. Let's hope they can work some magic and we can be done with constant pumping and save it only for when Dad wants to feed our son!

Thanks all!

Default Re: Another breast flange question. Does it matter?

It can really reduce how much milk you get. You should get some larger flanges.
    Tracie

Mommy to
    Lilah 10/08 nursed 25 months
    Beatrix 01/11 nursed 30 months

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*sim1985 View Post
    In follow up to my last post, I am going to a breastfeeding support group today. Let's hope they can work some magic and we can be done with constant pumping and save it only for when Dad wants to feed our son!

Thanks all!
    Good luck today!!
    Tracie

Mommy to

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*mommy2lilah View Post
    It can really reduce how much milk you get. You should get some larger flanges.
    Thanks, I will see if I can find some.

Good luck today!!
    It didn't go well. Actually, it didn't go at all as you noticed. Thanks though.

http://forums.llli.org:80/showthread.php?t=80037

I just realised I put the post in the wrong forum. One day I will get something right...!

It's ok. I'm sorry you have had such a hard road so far. There is nothing easy about those early weeks of breastfeeding, but you seem to have had some really bad luck. Don't worry about what forum you put things in, a lot of people just hit new posts at the top and so it will show up for us regardless of where you post it. If you want it moved, you could pm one of the moderators.

Do they make other flanges for your pump? I really would try to get some larger ones as soon as possible. It will really help with your pumping output.
    Tracie

Mommy to

Don't worry about what forum you put things in, a lot of people just hit new posts at the top and so it will show up for us regardless of where you post it. If you want it moved, you could pm one of the moderators.
    If no one else minds, I don't mind either. I just feel a bit stupid!

Do they make other flanges for your pump? I really would try to get some larger ones as soon as possible. It will really help with your pumping output.
    I think they do, I'm going to look for some now. What joy it would be if that one small change made a big difference!

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*sim1985 View Post
    I think they do, I'm going to look for some now. What joy it would be if that one small change made a big difference!
    I hope it does! I know that when I use a flange that is too small, I can't get very much out.

I may have asked this before, but are you using breast compression at all when you are pumping? I basically push pretty hard on my breasts while I'm pumping. It's weird looking and I can't do anything else at the same time, but the increase in pumping output is worth it to me.
    Tracie

Mommy to

it seems to really matter, I have tried several sizes myself.....bigger and smaller and cannot seem to get a proper fit...but as I change sizes I get different amounts proving that some sizes work better than others. Also, I read that you had a problem with a lactation consultant, did you try to call the hospital where you delivered? Where I delivered they have someone there five days a week and they were very helpful. She was even able to give me different size flanges for my pump. (which were still the wrong size I think but that is my fault because I just picked them up assuming they would work and didn't show her what it looked llike while I was pumping.) What pump do you use?

I may have asked this before, but are you using breast compression at all when you are pumping?
    Hmm, not as such I don't think. Only sometimes I push around towards my rib cage and I sort of circle the pump and my breasts around my rib cage a bit a few times a session. If that makes sense. I don't squeeze the breast itself. Should I? I have a double pump and I find it hard to keep them where they need to be as it is! Gosh, breastfeeding would be so much easier!

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*sixyearplan View Post
    Oh man, I had 24mm flanges and my nipples rubbed and it DID greatly reduce the pumping amount. My output doubled when I moved up to 30mm.
    Oh please let that be the case with me! I have bought more oats and some fenugreek capsules so I hope all these things will make a difference.

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*samsmom106 View Post
    Also, I read that you had a problem with a lactation consultant, did you try to call the hospital where you delivered? Where I delivered they have someone there five days a week and they were very helpful. She was even able to give me different size flanges for my pump. (which were still the wrong size I think but that is my fault because I just picked them up assuming they would work and didn't show her what it looked llike while I was pumping.) What pump do you use?
    I'm giving up on the hospital folk. After they didn't come and visit and abandoned the support group, I have doubts they are even bothered. I'll try another group this week. I was going to look online for some new flanges (it's an Ameda Lactaline) but I may wait now until I do get to a (successful) meeting in case they carry that kind of thing. Though I'm having doubts after the faffing that's gone on so far... Glad to hear that different flanges do make a difference though.