Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Will pumping give me "full" benefits of breastfeeding?

Default Will pumping give me "full" benefits of breastfeeding?

I am about to become a first time mom and will be going back to work about 3 months after I give birth to my daughter. My question is:

I plan on breastfeeding exclusively during the time I will be at home. Once back at work, will I get the "full" benefits of breastmilk? My concern is that I have read several places that the breastmilk is different at the beginning of a feeding, end of the feeding, in the morning vs. in the evening, and different during the many stages of her growth. If I am pumping and storing milk, won't these benefits be lost?

If so, can I simply label AM/PM milk and maybe not store so far ahead that the breastmilk is not in keeping with her current growth and needs?

Default Re: Will pumping give me "full" benefits of breastfeeding?

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*sixyearplan View Post
    Don't overthink it. The new study about milk being different at certain times of the day just made it that much more for mamas to worry about. I wouldn't go to that length to label AM vs PM milk.

No matter what formula is inferior to breast milk, regardless of when the breast milk was pumped or if it was frozen.

When you start pumping, I do recommend checking your milk for excess lipase:

http://www.kellymom.com/bf/pumping/l...essedmilk.html

with all the above.
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

It's round on the ends and high in the middle

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*sixyearplan View Post
    Don't overthink it. The new study about milk being different at certain times of the day just made it that much more for mamas to worry about. I wouldn't go to that length to label AM vs PM milk.

No matter what formula is inferior to breast milk, regardless of when the breast milk was pumped or if it was frozen.

When you start pumping, I do recommend checking your milk for excess lipase:

http://www.kellymom.com/bf/pumping/l...essedmilk.html
    Wise words.

I BF'ed my daughter until she was 17 months old. I pumped 15 of those months while I was at work and nursed her when I was home. I think she got ALL the benefits of breastmilk.

Congrats on your baby and good luck!

Jessica
    Fancy Momma to the Divine Miss M, 2/15/07 BF'ed for 17 months!
    Currently TTC Baby #2

Hello babies. Welcome to Earth. It's hot in the summer and cold in the winter. It's round and wet and crowded. At the outside, babies, you've got about a hundred years here. There's only one rule that I know of, babies - Damn it, you've got to be kind. - Kurt Vonnegut

I agree about not over-thinking it. I pumped exclusively, but even though my son wasn't directly at the breast he is a very healthy little 2 year old boy and has hardly ever been sick.

The only advice I would give is that if you do pump when you are really full you might get a bottle with a lot of foremilk, which looks really thin. You might need to mix it with some other milk so that he doesn't get a feeding of all foremilk because that might cause some green poop. That probably won't be a problem unless you have a large oversupply.
    Beth

Exclusively pumped for Lance Oct 07
    Nursed until just before he turned 3 Levi Oct 09

Do you have extra milk? Consider donating!
    http://www.hmbana.org/:

"So I was welcomed by the consolations of human milk; but it was not my mother or my nurses who made any decision to fill their breasts, but you who through them gave me infant food, in accordance with your ordinance and the riches which are distributed deep in the natural order." -St Augustine

Dont make yourself crazy...BM is better than no BM at all!!! I always told myself: "What is the diff-whether it comes "straight from the tap" or in a bottle?!?!?!

I was constantly mixing my milk with each pumps so he was probably getting ams and pms in each bottle at all times!!
    -Katie

-Wife to Joe 5-15-04
    -First time mom to Courtney Ann 8-12-07
    -Became a mom of 2: Brendan Joseph was born 01-08-09
    -Breastfed both of them for one whole year
    -Now a new mom of 3: Emily Theresa born 12-14-11
    -Breastfeeding again and hope to go the full year!