Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Baby a little TOO ready!

Default Baby a little TOO ready!

My DD is 6.5 months old and we started feeding her solids about 2 weeks ago. We are not doing BLS because it is just not how we chose to approach it. I am, however, using lots of info from the wholesome baby food website and making all of her food fresh with each feeding. Nothing pre-packaged at all!

My DD has done GREAT with starting. We've tried banana, pear, and avocado and she's loving it (well, not the avocado yet, but we're working on it).

Here's the problem: I'm not getting enough sleep. From 5 weeks old, she slept through the night 8-10 hours at a stretch. I was spoiled, I know. But, since about 4 months old and I went back to work, she's been backsliding. Now we're at solid 2 to 3 hours stretches as she is nearing 7 months old. I know the problem: she doesn't eat at daycare because she doesn't want to take the bottle (pumped milk from previous day or morning of). She prefers the breast and I prefer the breast for her. She'll eat between 2 to 10 ounces in a 7 hour day, + she isn't really hungry in the mornings before I take her. So, I have to make up for her missed feedings by feeding her every hour after work until bedtime. Then, she continues to make those up by waking up every few hours. So, on weekdays I have to go to bed when she does because otherwise i would be a zombie (7pm to 6am). On weekends, she wakes up only once or maybe twice in 12 hours (because I'm bfing her all day). However, I need more sleep during the week and I've gone 3 months with barely enough rest, except sometimes on weekends.

Here's my worry: I've noticed her sleeping better once starting solids. (She sleeps better on days we'll give it, as opposed to days we skipped it.) She's also a little TOO interested in the food. I know that once we increase her meals, she'll get more food and then sleep better. However, our babysitter can't really get her to take the bottle, but we know she'll take food if she offers it. I am sticking to 1 meal of solids per day right now, but when can/should I increase it? She's ready NOW, but I don't want her to replace necessary nutrition and/or cause early weaning. (As a side note: she loves nursing. Hence, the refused bottle. I can always get her to take the breast, but I want that to continue until at least 12 months.)

In essence: when/if she starts solids at daycare, she won't eat bottles anymore (I'm sure of this). But, she'll also get more calories during the day, allowing me to sleep better. So, how do I balance this while still giving the best to my DD?
    Mama to baby Sunshine, May 14, 2009
    Successfully BFed until DD was 14 months old (while I was pregnant) and she decided she didn't like the taste of the milk anymore.

New mama to my Earth baby boy, January 31, 2011. Going for at least another 14 months or more!

Default Re: Baby a little TOO ready!

sounds like she's reverse cycling a little bit, since your return to work.
    LOts of babies do that!
    More info on that here:

http://www.kellymom.com/bf/normal/reverse-cycling.html

How about increasing the number of solid food meals, but making sure that every one is mixed with breastmilk?
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

Thanks for the link about reverse cycling. It's true.

Would that be OK to puree pear (or whatever) with bm (1-2 ounces) so that she gets fed more at daycare?
    Mama to baby Sunshine, May 14, 2009
    Successfully BFed until DD was 14 months old (while I was pregnant) and she decided she didn't like the taste of the milk anymore.

New mama to my Earth baby boy, January 31, 2011. Going for at least another 14 months or more!