Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: cleaning pump between expressing

Default cleaning pump between expressing

Hello

I am about to start pumping at work - 1 day a week - and expect to need to pump about 3 times during the day. I am freelance so will be in a different office space each week.
    I have my pump sorted, but am confused about cleaning it between pumps!
    I don't want to pump and dump, so want to make sure the milk is not contaminated.
    Here in the UK we are told to sterilise everything between pumping - I am not going to have time to do this as I have clients back to back all day (don't know how I am actually going to have time to pump either, but I'll figure it out!)
    Is this the guidance in other countries? I was hoping to rinse everything with hot soapy water between pumps and sterilise it all when I get home. Is this not enough? Am I going to have to lug my huge steam sterilizer to work with me?

Thanks!
    Boo x
    Last edited by @llli*pabboo; November 26th, 2009 at 07:15 AM.
    First time Mummy to Xan born on 4/09/09.
    Loving the cloth and

Default Re: cleaning pump between expressing

I just put my pump parts in the cooler between pumpings, that way the milk didn't "go bad". Then when I got home at night I would wash it with hot soapy water. I never sterilized it. HTH.
    Proud mom of 2:
    DD 5/2008 nursed for 3 years and 3 months.
    DS born 8/2011 nursing like a champ

Sorry for the short responses...always, always, always NAK or holding a baby

Like pp said, put the parts in the cooler. Or, get some extra flanges. Rinse the used ones, toss in a zip bag, use a fresh set for the next pumping, and wash everything (hot soapy water) when you get home.

I've not heard any reason to sterilize pump parts each day. Hot soapy water should be sufficient.

You can also get the medela wipes and wipe them down after each pumping session if you don't have access to water. Also, if you do feel the need or desire to sterilize, I always used the medela bags for the microwave. When I was pumping, I pumped 3 times per day. After the first pump session, I would rinse the parts, then put them in my mini-six pack fridge (I got mine at target.com - has plug in or car cigarette lighter plug in), then after my second pumping session I would do the same thing, after the third pumping session, I would sterilize in the microwave and allow to airdry overnight. At the end of the week I would take them home and wash and sterilize.

Hi, I'm Allison

Mama to Henry Carl 12/28/06

7lbs, 15 oz, 20.5 in
    Breastfed for 20 months!

Mama to Ryan Thomas 11/20/08
    8lbs, 7 oz, 21 in
    Breastfed for 30 months!
    Mama to angel 4/03, Mama to angel 12/05

Feb TBTTW 33.1/70

Thanks everyone!
    First time Mummy to Xan born on 4/09/09.
    Loving the cloth and

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*babygirl05 View Post
    I just put my pump parts in the cooler between pumpings, that way the milk didn't "go bad". Then when I got home at night I would wash it with hot soapy water. I never sterilized it. HTH.

Same here.
    Kerri - Mama to 3 fabulous little dudes!

Luke 2/1/01 ~ Didn't attempt to BF
    Jack 2/11/06 ~ BF attempt unsuccessful
    Toby 7/13/09 ~ BFing since day one!