Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Is it ok to freeze BM that's been in fridge for up to 8-10 hours?

Default Is it ok to freeze BM that's been in fridge for up to 8-10 hours?

Hi,

Need advice if I could still freeze BM that's been kept in a fridge for up to 8-10 hours?

I express 2-3x while at work and keep the EBM in a small fridge in the office till I return home in the evening. Can I then keep the cooled EBM in a freezer? If so, how long can these EBM be kept in the freezer - would it be shorter than the usual 4 months for fresh EBM that's frozen immediately?

I seem to be expressing more milk now and there's at least one feed more than what's needed for the next day. TIA!

Default Re: Is it ok to freeze BM that's been in fridge for up to 8-10 hours?

Yes, absolutely this is fine to do. I would try not to have the EBM in the fridge for more than a day or two before freezing it, but if you keep it in the coldest part of the refrigerator, don't open it to air repeatedly and have a small amount of air in the storage bottle (i.e., not 1 oz milk and 4 oz air), you can go as long as 4 days. As long as your freezer storage stays at the freezer tems, there is no need to shorten the storage time on it if the milk has been in the refrigerator first. ((We did this protocol for nearly 300 bags of milk over 16 months time...))
    good luck!
    -linda

Default Re: Is it ok to freeze BM that's been in fridge for up to 8-10 hours?

Much thanks, Linda!