Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: sore nipples?

Default sore nipples?

I thought I'd bypassed all that a long time ago. Now, after 2 years of bfing my daughter, the last few days my nipples have been really tender. There aren't any sores on them, no chafing or anything like that. What's going on? Have any of you experienced this?

Default Re: sore nipples?

I asked that very question at a LLL meeting when DS was about a year old. First question from the leader was could you be pregnant? Next was are you due for your period, or could you be ovulating? Could you have thrush? Lazy latch? So forth.

In my case, it was hormonal shifts relating to my body getting ready for a cycle for the first time in a year. I got pregnant again a month later and then they got really sore!

I'm sure someone else might have some other ideas.

Good luck. I remember being soooo annoyed that I had sore nipples again!
    Susan
    Mama to my all-natural boys: Ian, 9-4-04, 11.5 lbs; Colton, 11-7-06, 9 lbs, in the water; Logan, 12-8-08, 9 lbs; Gavin, 1-18-11, 9 lbs; and an angel 1-15-06
    18+ months and for Gavin, born with an incomplete cleft lip and incomplete posterior cleft palate
    Sealed for time and eternity, 7-7-93
    Always babywearing, cosleeping and cloth diapering. Living with oppositional defiant disorder and ADHD. Ask me about cloth diapering and sewing your own diapers!

Actually, I haven't had a period at all in the last two years. I had wondered if it might be that, but wasn't sure.

Could I be pregnant? No clue. I'm not on anything anymore, and haven't been for a month. But I didn't think I was fertile yet, since I havent' had a period. I've been doing some reading on that lately though, and found that doesn't necessarily matter. Though my 2 year old is a frequent nurser.

I've had thrush before, when bfing my 2nd child, so I KNOW I'm not suffering from that. It doesn't look or feel the same. That was MUCH worse. Very, very painful and ugly to look at.

Well, we'll see if I'm gearing up for that first cycle. I'm not having any pregnancy symptoms, so I don't really think it's that. We'll see, right?

Thanks so much for answering my question! I really appreciate it.

Hmmm.... interesting! If your period doesn't start in the next week or two, you might want to do an HPT after all. We had a mom on here earlier this year who couldn't figure out why her nipples were so sore and not getting better for weeks and weeks. She turned out to be 18 weeks pregnant already! And almost completely symptom-free aside from the nipple soreness -- she was really shocked since her first pregnancy had made itself known through distinct symptoms from the earliest weeks.

And yes, it is possible to ovulate and conceive without ever having a postpartum period.

At any rate -- sore nipples are just awful. I hope they start feeling better very soon!

--Rebecca

Thanks again!

Well, an update on this is that curiosity got the better of me and I bought a hpt--negative. Then, right after that, I started spotting. Sooooooo..........I suppose it was the return of the periods. Haha.

This is good though. I'm hoping that it means a return to fertility, since we are TTC.

I'm glad to see other mama's like HPTs too One month my sister took nine before she saw a positive one!!! (luckily she gets em at the dollar store!) blessings on the return of your fertility!

Haha! Yeah, the only way I could afford to take that many would be if they came from the dollar store! Those work? I've wondered about that.

This has been the oddest period I've had. I started out spotting for the first 24 hours, then got a little bit heavier, though nothing like what I used to have,--and now, on the 3rd day, I'm almost done and have only a light, brownish discharge. Really weird. I'm still cramping pretty bad though. That sucks!

its normal for the 1st few cycles to be either extra heavy or light or any were inbetween.