Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Worried about weight gain

Default Worried about weight gain

Hi there,
    I need your advice regarding my daughter. She is 13 months going on her 14th month on Dec. 3 and weighs about 18.5 lbs. She's been exclusively breastfed since day 1. She can be a picky eater sometimes. She is a very active toddler. Looking at the growth charts, she has been growing steadily. For a while, her pedia was concerned that she may not be gaining as much weight. But upon seeing my daughter last month, she surmised that maybe my daughter is really petite. At one point the pedia suggested that I should stop breastfeeding her and let her take pediasure. What should I do? Is my daughter really underweight?

Default Re: Worried about weight gain

I think the questions you should ask yourself are "Is my daughter healthy? Is she happy? Meeting milestones?" If you feel the answer to all 3 is "yes," then IMHO where she is on the charts doesn't really matter. You don't need to be huge to be healthy- right now your doc is a bit worried but in a few years she'll probably be complimenting you on having such a slender child, and ask you what you're feeding her that's saving her from the epidemic of childhood obesity.

I would not take the Pediasure route- why pay for Pediasure when you have a better option that's free? Breastmilk, particularly in moms who have been lactating for >1 year, is one of the most calorie-dense foods you can feed your child. (I'd post a link to back up that assertion, but I'm on someone else's computer and I don't have my bookmarks file.)

That doesn't mean there's nothing you can do if you're concerned about your child's weight: there are plenty of high-calorie solids that you can offer, like avocado, cheese, meat, whole-milk yogurt, beans- and hey, why not add some olive oil to her lower-cal solids?
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

with mommal

My 13 month old girl weighs 17.8 pounds - sounds like our girls are on the same growth curve. My pediatrician did not bat an eye about it. Lilah had gone from the 3% curve up to the 25%, fell off the chart at 9 months and is now back up to the 3% curve. They don't all grow according to those silly charts. Look at the baby, not the chart!

How big was your baby at birth?
    Tracie

Mommy to
    Lilah 10/08 nursed 25 months
    Beatrix 01/11 nursed 30 months

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*sixyearplan View Post
    Tracie, my 13 months old 17+ lb girl is on the 10%. I wonder why yours says 3%.

anyway, my DD went from barely on the chart to 10% at 12 months and 17 lbs.

I was rushed to wean my first DD due to small stature and she just got skinnier.

I wouldn't change a thing if your DD is happy.
    I'm not sure? We didn't have our 12 month well baby visit until last week, her birthday is the day after E's. Was E 17 pounds at 12 months? I know the chart they have at my pediatrician's is on the computer (I guess they all are) and he just read it off of there. Maybe it's the formula growth chart?
    Tracie

Mommy to
    Lilah 10/08 nursed 25 months
    Beatrix 01/11 nursed 30 months

I agree with PPs--look at your daughter's general health, contentment, milestones, etc. My son was around 16 lbs at 1 year, and I was worried, but his pediatrician assured me that he was fine. As they become more mobile, their energy is directed toward fueling activity instead of adding body fat. As long as she's growing on her curve, "the" chart isn't important. One thing that did ease my mind then was that he was still nursing, so I knew he was getting what he needed. The pediatrician also said that it's likely he's going to built like his father (thank goodness!! LOL), who is long and lean--so maybe she's just going to be smaller and healthy, and that's a great thing.
    Last edited by @llli*mumtothomas; November 25th, 2009 at 11:36 AM.

Oh poo-the growth charts need to be throwen out! My DS needs binoculars to even see the 3rd% from where he is! LOL! My FP says it's his "constitution" and we aren't even slightly concerned. IT does make for some intresting moments when he had RSV and had to go up to children's hospital and my FP had to call ahead and pave the way so they wouldn't keep him there bc of his size! LOL! But like others have said, if the child meets milestones, is happy and healthy, let them nurse and be what size God has made them. The world would be pretty boring if we were all on the 50%! LOL!

Smile Re: Worried about weight gain

Hi all,

Thanks so much for all your posts. I truly appreciate the words of encouragement and advice. I just needed to hear it from other mothers with the same mindset.

Yup my LO is a very happy child. She has been meeting all the milestones and sometimes is even advanced.

She was 6 lbs. at birth and has been growing steadily since. I guess my pedia is just being a pedia.

Thanks Moms!