Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: When to stop pumping?

Default When to stop pumping?

Hello ladies! My DD is 17 mos old and I'm wondering if I can stop pumping soon. I pump once a day while at work and nurse when home (mostly a morning and nightime feed).

So I'm wondering what will happen if I cut out pumping all together? Is it too long to go 9 hours or more? At this age does it matter?

I'd like to get to a point where we feed first thing in the morning and then before bed too. From a nutritional point, I don't feel like I need to pump. DD eats all kinds of solids well.

TIA

Default Re: When to stop pumping?

It's up to you mamma. If you want to be done with puming, than so be it. You have been providing ebm while away from your baby for 17 months, which is a wonderful thing.

9 hours is a long time to go without pumping if your body is used to you pumping once during this time. I would suggest shortening your pumping by a few minutes, until you cut it out all together.

Hope that helps.

I'm Laura, mamma of 2

5-27-06

8-30-08

We love and

We have been nursing for over 2 years now!

I'm getting ready to cut out my last pumping session, I am away from Lilah for 10.5 hours and pump once in the middle right now. I'm going to try to quit cold turkey - I went from pumping 3 times to 2 times with no trouble really and 2 times to 1 time with no trouble. I'm hoping I can go from 1 to 0 with little to no trouble. If I have a hard time, I may express just an ounce to relieve pressure. My girl will be 14 months old when I stop sending her with EBM. for you for doing it for 17 months!
    Tracie

Mommy to
    Lilah 10/08 nursed 25 months
    Beatrix 01/11 nursed 30 months

It's round on the ends and high in the middle

I stopped pumping at work when my DD was 14 months old. She still nursed at night and in the morning for another 2.5 months.

At first, for about a week or so, my breasts felt full during the day when I didn't pump. and then my body just sort of rolled with the change and that was that. I did have some minor leaking at first too.

Good luck, momma!

Jessica
    Fancy Momma to the Divine Miss M, 2/15/07 BF'ed for 17 months!
    Currently TTC Baby #2

Hello babies. Welcome to Earth. It's hot in the summer and cold in the winter. It's round and wet and crowded. At the outside, babies, you've got about a hundred years here. There's only one rule that I know of, babies - Damn it, you've got to be kind. - Kurt Vonnegut

Thanks for the responses! I find it will be sweet and sour to stop pumping. God knows I'm not a fan of pumping but it did give me a break in the middle of the day. Plus to stop pumping makes me admit my little baby is growing up. This may be the hardest part....

Freezer stash is almost all gone too. Not to mention DD moved from sleeping in our bedroom to her sister's room a few days ago. I'm losing my baby!

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*ebbie View Post
    Thanks for the responses! I find it will be sweet and sour to stop pumping. God knows I'm not a fan of pumping but it did give me a break in the middle of the day. Plus to stop pumping makes me admit my little baby is growing up. This may be the hardest part....

Freezer stash is almost all gone too. Not to mention DD moved from sleeping in our bedroom to her sister's room a few days ago. I'm losing my baby!
    I feel the same way.
    Tracie

Mommy to
    Lilah 10/08 nursed 25 months
    Beatrix 01/11 nursed 30 months

Hi!

You can, of course, stop pumping whenever you choose to :-)
    You just want to be careful to do it slowly enough to avoid clogged ducts or discomfort (slowly decreasing the time you spend pumping, etc).

"Is it too long to go 9 hours or more?"

You can nurse as much or as little as you like, and your body will adjust.
    I stopped pumping recently, when LO was 19 or 20 months old. It's had almost no impact on our morning/nighttime nursings.
    I go about 11 hours without nursing during the daytime.

"At this age does it matter?"

That is up to you. It "matters" in that he still gets health benefits, but if you are talking about cutting out a pump and keeping morning/night nursings, then in my opinion you will still be giving him the health AND emotional benefits.

side note, my son also eats solids well-- a wide variety of fruits, veggies, grains, etc and so I don't worry about how many ounces of BM he is getting.

Good luck!

When I stopped pumping, I just dropped the pump. I didnt "wean off it" because I just listened to my body. If I had any discomfort, I would have kept up weaning and shortened it, or made it later and later, but it just wasn't necessary for me.

Experiment and see what works for you! Even if you make a mistake, you can correct the next day, your body will adjust.