Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: ? Nipples too big, solutions?

Question ? Nipples too big, solutions?

My daughter is not really considered a preemie, she was born at 37 weeks, however at 6 lbs she is somewhat small. I have very large nipples. She is not my first child - she is #5. With #1 I got very little support and 16 years ago, ended up exclusively pumping for my 5 week preemie. With the other 3, I didn't figure things out too quickly and they screamed because they were starving till I ended up supplementing with formula and breastmilk alternately. I believe my large nipples were the reason none of them could nurse exclusively at first the last three all ended up being able to nurse exclusively at about 3 months of age. I began to supplement this one with expressed breast milk right away and she really is my most content baby of all. She sleeps solidly and wakes only every 3 - 4 hours and only lost 2 oz. then gained that back right away. She is 6 days old. I do see that she seems to either have some nipple confusion or plain prefers the bottle (understandable but frustrating). I intend to keep up our regimine which is letting her latch on to one side, changing her diaper, letting her latch on to the other side (both times till she is frustrated and crying), then feeding her with the bottle, then pumping. I get 5 - 6 oz. each time I pump so I have plenty of stored milk so far, I have not had to use any formula. Is this the best I can do? I just want to make sure I've thought of every possiblity.
    Thanks for any suggestions/ support. Sorry this is so long...
    Maxine

Default Re: ? Nipples too big, solutions?

Quote Originally Posted by oberlem
    My daughter is not really considered a preemie, she was born at 37 weeks, however at 6 lbs she is somewhat small. I have very large nipples. She is not my first child - she is #5. With #1 I got very little support and 16 years ago, ended up exclusively pumping for my 5 week preemie. With the other 3, I didn't figure things out too quickly and they screamed because they were starving till I ended up supplementing with formula and breastmilk alternately. I believe my large nipples were the reason none of them could nurse exclusively at first the last three all ended up being able to nurse exclusively at about 3 months of age. I began to supplement this one with expressed breast milk right away and she really is my most content baby of all. She sleeps solidly and wakes only every 3 - 4 hours and only lost 2 oz. then gained that back right away. She is 6 days old. I do see that she seems to either have some nipple confusion or plain prefers the bottle (understandable but frustrating). I intend to keep up our regimine which is letting her latch on to one side, changing her diaper, letting her latch on to the other side (both times till she is frustrated and crying), then feeding her with the bottle, then pumping. I get 5 - 6 oz. each time I pump so I have plenty of stored milk so far, I have not had to use any formula. Is this the best I can do? I just want to make sure I've thought of every possiblity.
    Thanks for any suggestions/ support. Sorry this is so long...
    Maxine
    Have you spoken with a LC or your local LLL leader about this? I know my daughter had such a small mouth and couldn't open wide at first to latch on (I have flat nipples also) and the occupational thearpist I worked with in the NICU had me use a nipple shield and that helped us. I don't know if something like that would work in your instance though, would be worth asking about. Sorry, I'm not much help. Congrats on your new baby!!!!