Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Metallic smelling breastmilk

Default Metallic smelling breastmilk

What does it mean when my (fresh, never been frozen) breastmilk is metallic smelling?

Default Re: Metallic smelling breastmilk

Bumping this for you.

I was coming here to say that it sounds like a lipase issue, but I've never heard of a lipase issue in fresh breastmilk...only frozen. Has your baby tried any of the milk? If so, how did he or she react to it? Did they act like it tasted funny? Have you tasted it to see if it has a soapy or metallic taste to it? Like I said, I have never heard of anyone having a lipase issue with fresh breastmilk, but I guess it could be possible.

Someone will be along soon to help you figure this out!
    Penthouse

Mama to
    DS1 (9 years old...nursed for 7 months - how I wish this forum had been around back then!)
    DS2 (after nursing for a tad over two years, I *think* we are done )

How fresh? Do you just mean that it hasn't been frozen? Lipase can also be an issue in fresh milk, for some people it happens almost immediately. Mine seems good for about three days and after that it tastes the same as the frozen. And smells the same.

Have you tasted it?
    Tracie

Mommy to
    Lilah 10/08 nursed 25 months
    Beatrix 01/11 nursed 30 months

fresh out of my breast!

Wow. That would be a new one on me. It is probably not lipase then. Have you tasted it?

I guess it's just the way your milk smells. Maybe you have a lot of minerals in your water? Water can smell metallic.
    Tracie

Mommy to
    Lilah 10/08 nursed 25 months
    Beatrix 01/11 nursed 30 months

mine has some kind of metallic smell too. had all the time, baby is fine, gaining well. i thought it was from iron in Materna.
    Proud Mom of Elizabeth,
    born Sep-25-2009
    birth- 7.5 lbs
    1 mo - 11.2 lbs
    2 mo - 13.1 lbs
    3 mo - 16.2 lbs

Red face Re: Metallic smelling breastmilk

Thanks for the feedback! I never smelled my breastmilk until I realized I was allergic to almonds and stopped using almond butter as my face wash and switched to using my own bm instead. Dd is growing very well (4 months and almost 19 pounds). I was just concerned because I thought bm would smell more pleasant than that and we've had a lot of allergy/intolerance issues.

Hi there! I am EBF my daughter, and just realized that my BF taste and smells weird too! Kinda like a metallic smell! (I litteraly googled "my milk smells metallic" lol.. And it brought me here! I noticed it because I had a canker sore on my lip so I decided to express some milk and swish it around in my mouth, to realize that it had a very strange taste. I did notice that my milk spoils fast a while back and had that smell.. And also had the same issue with freezing.. So I really never pump, I just nurse her on demand. But, after that happened with me tasting it.. I'm a little concerned now.. Because it smells and taste like that even if I JUST expressed it! I also noticed that my daughters breath has that smell too, a while ago.. But I figured it was just because of the drool (she's 5 months and teething).. But, now I know it's the milk! She nurses and eats perfectly fine.. She is gaining plenty weight! Lol.( she's a chubby girl!) so.. I'm not sure what the deal is... Maybe I DO have this lipase issue?? But from freshly expressed milk?? Just curious what your conclusions where on this issue? I know this was in 2009.. But any feed back would be wonderful!