Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: DS not gaining weight

Default DS not gaining weight

I took DS(9months) to the doc today because he and DD6 have had some sort of virus over the past week (sudden temp, runny nose, dry cough...). I was concerned he had an earache because he had been pulling at both ears, but I know two top teeth are coming in, so thought that might be the reason for pulling his ears also. Ears look great, so I guess it was the teeth BUT he hasn't gained even an ounce in two months. He's gone from 25th percentile at 6 months to 5th percentile at 9 months.

I have been worried a couple weeks now as when I'm pumping I'm getting close to nothing, but I know that can simply be my body not responding to the pump and have nothing to do with my actual supply. But then the last week to two weeks, his we diapers have drastically gone down. Last night, I changed his diaper around 9-ish before bed, he nursed almost all night long as he wasn't feeling well and didn't sleep more than 30 minutes at a time, and his diaper was dry when we woke up at 8:30 this morning....not wet AT ALL.

I spoke to the pedi about this today, but we were there for a sick visit and didn't get a lot of time to discuss this. She says we need to be adding more solids. He doesn't like to eat, really, and VERY easily chokes on his solids....even just the baby food that's "textured." She says he'll learn, but I really feel there's something more to it than him just not knowing how to eat!!!!! I'm truly concerned!!!!

Any advice? Any thoughts? She said he was old enough now to add whole milk foods like yogurt, cheese, etc. to his diet and I'm trying my hardest to get more into him, but he's just not having it. Him teething isn't helping this either!!!! I even offered him some milk in a bottle, thinking it's probably time to supplement (please don't yell at me for this, I'm stressing and really don't know what to do at this point!), but he doesn't want anything to do with taking a bottle!!!! The only bottles he ever gets are breast milk at the sitter's 2-3 days a week and he just doesn't like it! What can I do to help my baby gain?

Default Re: DS not gaining weight

dear mom2pat,
    My ds4 went from being one of the chubbiest babies to rather scrawny looking from his 9th to his 11th month.
    He and his siblings had viruses, colds, ear infections all the usual ups and downs of garden variety childhood illnesses. Nothing exotic. BUT ds4 was so easy going, so "Mr. tag along", that I missed some of his "need to feed me" cues. Eventually the Lactation fairy sprinkled me with mastitis and lo and behold I was back in bed with my ds4 nursing around the clock. He was nursing like a newborn at 11 months and he filled out again. He gained weight again. It was me. I had took his jolly disposition for granted. I had missed too many feedings. I had rushed through too many feedings.
    He bounced right back once I remembered to nurse him more often.
    DD#1 July 1986 VB
    DD#2 April 1988 c/sec
    DS#3 April 1990 VBAC
    DS#4 June 1993 VB
    and suprise!
    DD#5 April 2001 c/sec
    BTDT scars and stretchmarks,: wrinkles and grey hair

A lot of the things you descrube are not worrisome in an of themselves.

It sounds like your baby has always been on the smaller side. So declining from the 25th percentile to the 5th is not so shocking, especially in the second half of the first year when breastfed babies tend to "lean out", putting more calories into physical activity instead of packing them on as fat. The chart your doc used to measure your LO makes a big difference- if he used a formula chart (and many docs still do use the old charts) then it's common for a breastfed baby to look "too skinny" in the second half of the first year. (This happens because breastfed and formula-fed babies have different weight gain patterns, with breastfed babies gaining relatively fast at first and then slowing down, rather than starting slow and then speeding up.)

The occasional dry morning diaper is also okay- some babies learn to hold it so that they don't have to out up with the discomfort of a wet diaper at night. Sometimes they also learn to hold their pee more during the day, producing fewer wet diapers overall, though the diapers they do produce may be heavier.

No interest in solids is also normal. At 9 months, a baby doesn't need solids at all: breastmilk is enough to meet all his nutritional needs. (According to my pediatrician.)

However, if you are concerned about your baby's weight gain, I would do the following:
    - Nurse more often
    - Check your pump- after 9 months of use it may be wearing down
    - Review your birth control choices- if you are on hormonal contraception one might be a good time to take a break from it since it can impact supply
    - Make sure you're not pregnant- that can also sink your supply
    - Give your baby a multivitamin (can't hurt, may help)
    - Offer high-calorie solids (meats, beans, full-fat yogurt, avocado) and add some olive oil to the low-cal solids like veggies and fruits
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

It is likely your pedi is (incorrectly) using the CDC charts. Plot your son's weight on the WHO charts and see what it looks like:
    http://www.cdc.gov/growthcharts/
    DS1 6/7/11
    DS2 10/29/13

Nursing, pumping, cloth-diapering, babywearing, working professor mama with the awesomest SAHD ever.

Could you be pregnant?

Regarding the solids, my fourth son had a lot of issues with food because of his cleft palate. All the cleft experts told me to feed him puréed food (something Imhad never done) but he HATED it, like would freak out, choke, gag, and it was becoming very unpleasant for us all. I quit and went back to what I know, which is baby led solids. I simply provided what we were eating in small bites. He gobbled more food that day than he ever had before. He did great with slices of things. Maybe try that instead of textured baby food.
    Susan
    Mama to my all-natural boys: Ian, 9-4-04, 11.5 lbs; Colton, 11-7-06, 9 lbs, in the water; Logan, 12-8-08, 9 lbs; Gavin, 1-18-11, 9 lbs; and an angel 1-15-06
    18+ months and for Gavin, born with an incomplete cleft lip and incomplete posterior cleft palate
    Sealed for time and eternity, 7-7-93
    Always babywearing, cosleeping and cloth diapering. Living with oppositional defiant disorder and ADHD. Ask me about cloth diapering and sewing your own diapers!

Not pregnant! Thank God!!!! LOL I even had a test done at the doctor's to be sure because I'm having some other things going on that have only gone on during both my pregnancies (dizziness, drunk feeling, feeling faint, etc.), and I'm not. It would be nearly impossible as careful as we are and considering it took us 5 years to get pregnant with DS and 1.5 to get pregnant with DD!

If I'm reading the WHO cart correctly, he's 10th percentile for that, but I may not be reading it correctly. The thing is, at his 6-month appointment, he was 17 lbs. At 9 months, 17 lbs. He has had one sickness and gotten 3 teeth plus a fourth one coming in now. I'm sure that has some to do with it, along with being more active, but I'd think he should be gaining some weight, right???

He has been really, really constipated the last 3-4 weeks, way less wet diapers, thatis what scares me most, kwim?

We are working on getting him to eat more and my best friend is a speech pathologist, so she's going to talk to me/look at him regarding this constant choking. The pedi said it's normal, but I've been around a ton of babies learning to eat, and I'm telling you, something isn't quite right!!

I'm really working on when I'm not with him, pumping like crazy, hoping to increase my supply even if he's eating less because of being sick/teething. I went and rented a pump instead of using my PIS because I wanted to be sure it wasn't my pump. I am getting a little more with it now, so maybe that will help! I wish I could take Reglan! It helps me produce a TON of milk, but it causes such severe anxiety I wouldn't be able to take care of either of my children....it really is that bad when I take it!

I am sure I haven't missed his needs to feed as someone suggested might be a problem? That kid is hooked to me 24/7 other than the couple days I'm working. LOL And he nurses pretty much all.night.long as he's never slept more than an hour at a time (other than a 6-week stint from about 6 weeks to 12 weeks, darn kid fooled us, lol). He's always been a fast nurser and I can't force him to stay nursing more than 8-10 minutes max, but he nurses frequently. I've tried to get him to stay longer, he just won't have it.

And, he was a pretty good-sized baby at birth, 8 lbs 11 oz. He's now 17 lbs at 9 months. I will say, though, DH is a small-boned man, as am I (if only my fat would show that, hahaha). DD was a very tiny baby, but it was due to reflux that went undiagnosed by her crap-tastic pedi we started with. Once she was 2.5 and still in 12-18 month clothes, we switched pedis, got her meds for the reflux and she's now 6.5 in a size 5. Still VERY thin and small-boned but healthy, unlike she was as a baby.

So you ladies don't think I'm starving him by not getting him to take formula? He will NOT take a bottle of formula!!!! I'm lucky to get him to take pumped bm at the sitter's!!!!! I just worry that because of that, if I'm not making enough, he's going to continue to be not gaining properly! I have added higher fat foods to his diet as best I can, avocado, high-fat cottage cheese (pedi said it was okay??? and he LOVES it), high-fat yogurt (he is just okay with it) and I've been offering a third meal each day, though he barely eats during that third meal. He's just not really into food just yet, though I have figured out (as someone said here) that the pureed foods are not quite what he likes, so we're figuring out what to give him that he can eat, without choking, that's not pureed.

Thanks for all your thoughts, support!!!! I'm the only one in my family who nurses and so even though my parents, husband want to be supportive, they just don't know and are kind of freaked out that I'm starving him. They have good intentions. But then it worries me, too, ya know???

I don't think you're starving him!! Did he gain in length? How does he seem, is he happy, alert, meeting milestones?
    Tracie

Mommy to
    Lilah 10/08 nursed 25 months
    Beatrix 01/11 nursed 30 months

One of my kids fell off the chart at 9 months. Like off of it, even the BF baby one. But when I looked at him, it was obvious he was fine. The ped wasn't all that upset either.

How much solids is your LO taking, as that can lead to constipation.
    Susan
    Mama to my all-natural boys: Ian, 9-4-04, 11.5 lbs; Colton, 11-7-06, 9 lbs, in the water; Logan, 12-8-08, 9 lbs; Gavin, 1-18-11, 9 lbs; and an angel 1-15-06
    18+ months and for Gavin, born with an incomplete cleft lip and incomplete posterior cleft palate
    Sealed for time and eternity, 7-7-93
    Always babywearing, cosleeping and cloth diapering. Living with oppositional defiant disorder and ADHD. Ask me about cloth diapering and sewing your own diapers!

I hate to be the voice of dissent, and I'm not as knowledgeable as some of the ladies here, but I agree with you that not gaining even an ounce in 3 months is concerning. Lots of BF babies fall off the charts in the second half of the first year, but I don't think it's normal for them to totally stop gaining weight (though it is normal for it to slow down). It sounds like you are doing everything right, feeding him on demand whenever he wants it and pumping frequently when you're separated. I don't know why he's not gaining, but I do think you're right to be concerned. He may just be meant to be small; it sounds like your other daughter, your husband, and you are all small people. But, not gaining any weight at all doesn't sit right with me.

Sorry to hear this has been so stressful for you! How does your pediatrician explain the complete lack of weight gain if s/he isn't worried about it? Was he weighed on the same exact scale both times under the same conditions?

Our LO has been a slow gainer from the beginning, and I'll be interested to see at his 9 mo appt how much he has gained since the last appt was 6 mo. He also started to have issues with constipation / hard stools after we started introducing more solids around 7-8 mo, and we needed to consistently introduce more "moving" foods into his daily diet - that does seem to be helping him. This link has some info on that: http://wholesomebabyfood.momtastic.com/constip.htm.

Sounds like you are getting lots of good input here, and are diligent about looking out for his health! I think you are right to follow your instincts and ask questions about things that are bothering you. I hope things improve with his weight and get less stressful for you soon!
    Last edited by @llli*lilpats-mama; June 6th, 2012 at 03:58 PM. Reason: typos