Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Is 5 nursing sessions in 24hr okay for 8 month old?

Default Is 5 nursing sessions in 24hr okay for 8 month old?

My daughter nurses about 4-6 times in 24hrs. Usually 5 times. She also will have infant cereal in the morning/afternoon sometimes and sometimes won't want any. And probley eats about 1 4oz jar of baby food per day. Along with some Gerber Graduates lil'curnchies snacks in between. I will also give her a little water too. Do you think this is enough? I just worry because she usually will only nurse mabye once between the hours of 9am - 6pm. The other nursing sessions are always early morning or a night after i put her to bed. She is very distracted when awake and I can only nurse her to sleep or while she sleeps. She seems to have enough wet and dirty diapers. Is there a certian number I should expect at her age? Thank you in advace for your replies!

Default Re: Is 5 nursing sessions in 24hr okay for 8 month old?

Are you offering food before or after nursing? I personally would nurse first and offer food after that. Breastmilk should be the main source of nutrition until the end of the first year. 4 times in 24 hours doesn't seem like enough. I would try not to offer water, and offer the breast instead.
    This page at Kellymom.com is really useful and has a chart that gives some loose guidelines.
    http://kellymom.com/nutrition/starti...ds/solids-how/
    Lyn
    Nursing the girl with kaleidoscope eyes

Mama to Daniel (12/3/06) and Lucy Jane (8/28/08)

Thank you for your reply and the link. I offer the breast multiple times when she is awake and before feedings, but she will just latch on for a few seconds or minutes and not drink. That is exactly why I am worried becasue I know most of the nutrition should come from the breastmilk. I will try not giving her any water, lately I have been offering it in a cup because she just spits out anything she sucks from a bottle or sippy cup. Most of the water goes down her front anyways. I will usually offer the water after I give her the baby food. I am going to check out that kellymom link now thanks again!

i agree - 4 times a day isn't enough. distraction is normal at that age - can you nurse her before & after her naps, in a quiet dark room? offer like every hour - mine would take like 3 swallows and be off again, and do that all day long.
    DS1 6/7/11
    DS2 10/29/13

Nursing, pumping, cloth-diapering, babywearing, working professor mama with the awesomest SAHD ever.

I try each time to nurse her before and after naps. Rarely she will nurse when I put her down to nap. It is always in a dark quiet room when I try. Like today she woke up at 8:30 and I tried to nurse her, wouldn't take it. And I tried a couple times before 11:30 when I pumped about 2oz for her cereal. She ate 2 1/2 tbs of cereal. I tried to nurse her at least 6 times throught the day and she didn't nurse unitl 6pm when I put her down for a nap. But she was half asleep and only nursed for about 1-2min. Not sucking that hard at all. I offered at 7pm and she didn't drink any. I fed her squash/zuchinni about 1-2oz at 7:30pm. I offered at 8:15 and 8:45. She will latch on but not drink. It is really concerning me today. I didn't give her any water today either. I mean she must be thirsty I just don't understand. Since 4pm she has had 1 wet diaper and 2 very lightly damp ones. I don't know what to do. =(

Have you tried nursing her in a carrier? If it has a hood, she should be less distracted. How was nursing when she was younger? When did it change? What is your supply like and what is your let down like? Is she still putting on weight?

Don't have a nursing carrier..her nursing was always good for about the first 5 months. I'd say it started changing when I weaned her from the pacificer at 5 1/2 months. She would use it to sleep mostly. But ever since either I give her my breast to put her to sleep or I hold and rock her to sleep. I'd say 90% of the time I give her my breast. Maybe she associates it with sleeping and not eating now? She also got her first tooth at 6 months 3 weeks and the 2nd at exactly 8 months. My supply seems good, I try to pump at least once or more a day. I can still feel the let down sometimes too. We go for a WIC appt on Monday and I will have her weighed then. Her weight has always been good though. I am also planning to go to my first LLL meeting this Wedensday, maybe they can give me some advice too. I am going to try ebf today and see if she will nurse more. *sigh* Wish me luck...

What is currently working for me (my babe is refusing all feeds when awake) is to get her to sleep then dream feed her. Although it is not ideal, at least it is getting her to eat. Hope things improve for you mama! Good luck!!

Yea that is about the only way mine will nurse too, is if she is half asleep drifting off or when she is already alseep. Thanks for the encouragement!