Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Jar Food

Default Jar Food

I have to laugh a little at this. We have gotten food vouchers through WIC since babe was born as I quite work so I could stay home with him. They have always given us ridiculous amounts of milk and cheese, but we have managed to get through it.

LO had his 6 month old appt today, and they added to the vouchers... 96 jars of baby food a month! We weren't even planning on feeding jar food. I feel somewhat obligated to get it though since we have the vouchers. I don't know, maybe we'll just keep it around in case of emergency, or feed him a little bit of it.

Default Re: Jar Food

I wouldn't bother getting it if you don't plan on using it. Seems like a waste of government funds if you ask me. Why do you feel obligated to get it and use it just because they gave you the vouchers? You wouldn't pick up and use all the formula just because you got the vouchers, would you?
    Mama of two precious girls
    DD1 born 23 July 2008 and
    DD2 born 14 January 2010

IMO, I would probably get a few "just in case"...it wouldn't hurt. Sometimes when I tell my DH where things are and what to do the rare times I need to leave the house, he still gets confused!
    Mommy to Jackson Cale
    May 30, 2009

Proudly my little love.

You could get it and donate it to a shelter or something.
    “We are not put on earth for ourselves, but are placed here for each other. If you are there always for others, then in time of need, someone will be there for you.”
    --Anonymous

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*norasmommy View Post
    You could get it and donate it to a shelter or something.

Dunno, surely it only has to be paid for by WIC if the checks are presented at the store when you buy it and the store is then reimbursed by WIC? If it's donated it's going to a good cause, but still taking money out of the WIC program just for the sake of cashing the vouchers.

Sorry, not trying to stir the pot! I'm just unsure why they have to be cashed if there were no original plans to use jarred food.

Mama of two precious girls
    DD1 born 23 July 2008 and
    DD2 born 14 January 2010

That's true, I was just thinking if she got it and ended up not using it she could always donate it.
    “We are not put on earth for ourselves, but are placed here for each other. If you are there always for others, then in time of need, someone will be there for you.”
    --Anonymous

I would pick only fruits and then use them for smoothies.
    I saw that the jars of baby foods had wic labels the last time that I was at the store.

here is an older link that you might like

http://www.cspinet.org/reports/cheat1.html

oh and how it works in ohio you don't have to get everything on the wic coupon if you will not use it.

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*love.my.babe View Post
    I have to laugh a little at this. We have gotten food vouchers through WIC since babe was born as I quite work so I could stay home with him. They have always given us ridiculous amounts of milk and cheese, but we have managed to get through it.

LO had his 6 month old appt today, and they added to the vouchers... 96 jars of baby food a month! We weren't even planning on feeding jar food. I feel somewhat obligated to get it though since we have the vouchers. I don't know, maybe we'll just keep it around in case of emergency, or feed him a little bit of it.

Are WIC programs different in every state? In Texas, I was told that you could get vouchers for fresh foods instead and access to a food grinder if you are not planning on using jarred food.

I didn't think about asking if I could substitute. That's a good idea. And yeah, you aren't really supposed to donate them. I think I will only pick up what I think I might use and just not use the whole voucher. I'm pretty picky about the quality of food that I eat, and will be with DS too.

But really, will any 6 month old go through 96 jars of food a month?!