Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: pump parts in fridge?

Default pump parts in fridge?

I have an Ameda Purely Yours. DD is 6 wks (can't believe she's that old already!!!) and I've started pumping over the weekend just to clear my ducts. Mastitis was no fun and I want every one of those clogs gone!

I was browsing through threads to see if what looked curdled to me the morning after I pumped (put immediately into fridge, of course, in a sterilized bottle) was normal, and yep-was normal separation, and saw a vague reference to something that makes perfect sense but didn't occur to me on its own.

Since the APY is a closed system, can I just unhook the white cap and put the rest of the 'contact' parts in the fridge to use once or twice more before I take it apart to wash again? I don't want to cut corners and risk anything, but if this is a way to save a little water and precious time, I'm all for it. When some of DD's naps allow for eating or bathing but not both, I'd hate to stand over the sink washing those tiny parts all the time if I don't have to!

Thanks!

Default Re: pump parts in fridge?

I am using Medela PISA & I've stored my pump parts (those that come in contact with milk) in the fridge during the day for the past 20 months with no issues. I just wash & sterilize them once I'm home (I'm a FTWM) so I feel it wont be an issue for you too

My LC actually suggested exactly this: to store my pump parts in the fridge and wash them only every other pumping session.
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

Sounds good!

Now for my next question...

How often do they need to be sterilized vs. just thoroughly cleaned with hot soapy water?

Do the collection/storage bottles need to be sterilized every time, or just washed?

I stored my parts in the fridge, too. Not only was it easier / less time-consuming, it also seemed cleaner than washing them out in a communal sink.

If your DD was full-term and doesn't have any health issues, hot soapy water is sufficient, as long as you have a good bottle-brush to clean out nipples, etc. You should sterilize brand-new bottles & parts before using, but after that unless are left out for an extensive period of time you can just wash them.
    Imma to AA, born at home 11/12/07 , juggling , working, APing , cloth diapering , - and . I'm done - yay!

http://bf.lilypie.com/KmpEm6.png