Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: where are you at with Nursing your toddler over 2?

Default Re: where are you at with Nursing your toddler over 2?

last night I counted and it's been over 15 days since Silas last nursed,

we started a new nighttime routine a while back and since then he has been falling asleep in his room with me on the floor beside his bed. no mpre falling asleep on my lap in the living room = no more nursing to sleep

so last night when we went to his room i offered and he nursed each side just long enough to get a letdown and immediately pulled off as if he didn't really want/like the milk

no idea where we'll be next month or even next week but for now this is where we are....
    Autumn
    Moma to *Silas* 10-30-07

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*lidarln View Post
    last night I counted and it's been over 15 days since Silas last nursed,

we started a new nighttime routine a while back and since then he has been falling asleep in his room with me on the floor beside his bed. no mpre falling asleep on my lap in the living room = no more nursing to sleep

so last night when we went to his room i offered and he nursed each side just long enough to get a letdown and immediately pulled off as if he didn't really want/like the milk

no idea where we'll be next month or even next week but for now this is where we are....
    IRL all my friends call me Buff, Wife to CB since 10/11/2003

Mom to DD - "MJ" born 9/2007 @ 8lbs 10oz, 21.5" She's 6 years old!
    My journey nursing MJ started HERE, but we got through it and she breastfed 19.5 months, self-weaned on 5/17/09

Mom to my current nursling, DS - "ME" born 10/2009 @ 10lbs 1oz, 22.25" He's 4 years old! And yup, he's still nursing.

Ask me about my successful VBAC! Click here for my birth story.

My son is 2.5 and I also feel that I might "pressure" him to nurse sometimes, specifically in the morning before I leave for work. I leave very early and there are mornings I could just leave before my son has even woken up-- but I don't allow that to happen. I either wake my son prematurely (and feel bad) or I even am 30 minutes late to work sometimes waiting for my son to wake.
    I just have the mindset that if I miss that nursing, my body would be going 24-hours without a nursing and that is "bad" (= clogged duct? Dry up?)

I don't really know what to do about it! But I do wonder if I am getting in the way of natural weaning.

My son's nighttime nursing has been getting teeny tiny, like sometimes only 1 minute on 1 side! I feel bad because that is partially due to my new work schedule as well, but not much I can do about it.

GOOD LUCK :-)

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*LLLAlene View Post
    My daughter is 31 months. She nurses in upon waking, after breakfast, mid-morning, for nap, after nap, dinnertime, evening time, bedtime, at least 3x a night...lots unless we are busy. She has cut down this summer with running all around with her brother and older sister but not so sure what she will do when school starts up again.
    That describes where we're at too. Glad I'm not alone. My dd is 30 months.
    Laura, proud vbacing, ecological breastfeeding mommy to four ages 8, 6, 5, and 2. That's Kate nursing her doll, Adam.

The Seven Standards of ecological breastfeeding: (1) exclusive breasfeeding for the first 6 months (2) pacify baby at your breast (3) don't use bottles and pacifiers (4) co-sleep for night feedings (5) take a nursing nap (6) nurse frequently day and night; avoiding schedules (7) avoid practices that restrict nursing or separates you from your baby. The average return of menstruation for ecological breastfeeding mothers is between 14 and 15 months.

ds2 (now 31 months) changes it up depending on what's going on.

During the weekend when I'm home all day he nurses anywhere from 6-10 times in 24 hours. During the week he nurses first thing in the morning, when I get home around 5ish, and again before bed (sometimes depending on when dinner is, he may only nurse before bed). He usually wakes once during the night.

so anywhere between 2 and 10 times
    ~Jenn~

mother of 2 boys!
    08/14/98~~03/20/08

Birth: 7lbs 12oz, 1 year: 22lbs 11oz
    until he self-weaned 4 days before his third birthday ... still on occasion ... and happily

************************************************** ************************************************** *****************
    People need to understand that when they're deciding between breastmilk and formula, they're not deciding between Coke and Pepsi.... They're choosing between a live, pure substance and a dead substance made with the cheapest oils available. ~Chele Marmet