Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: where are you at with Nursing your toddler over 2?

Default where are you at with Nursing your toddler over 2?

I realized, sadly, over the last few weeks that things are changing with my baby and how often he nurses. i was hoping to gain some perspective from other moms of toddlers on where you are in the grand scheme and how you feel about it.

Early Mornings:
    Right now Silas wakes on his own on weekends and any other time i don't have to leave for work, on those days he only nurses first thing in the AM about 1 of every 5 mornings. on the Days when I have to leave for work I also have to drop him at the sitters house, right now i still wake him up when I first wake up and we cuddle and nurse for about 20 minutes total in a daybed in his room. I wonder if I am pressuring him kind of because it's how I get him to wake up. should i just wake him and attempt to dress him instead of scooping him up and getting into bed with him?

Naps: at the sitters he naos wonderfully without me but alas if I am home and we aren't in the car he will not nap without the boob, I wish this were different.

Bedtime: he actually has fallen asleep a few times sitting in my lap watching TV, once watching ET, once the Golden Compass, and finally a Harry Potter flick otherwise we sit in my chair and he brings me the boppy to nurse or on ocassion he'll direct me to his room to cuddle in the daybed and nurse to sleep instead.

he hardly, if ever, asks otherwise, unless I'm being lazy on the couch and he wants to snuggle up

so that's where we are please share where you are if you don't mind ladies
    Autumn
    Moma to *Silas* 10-30-07

Default Re: where are you at with Nursing your toddler over 2?

crap client called I post asap

ok in the morning he will wake up at about 5am and ask me to lay with him and nurse this is usually a long session-like an hour!When we get home on weekdays he will ask to lay on the couch and nurse like 60% of the time.

On weekends he also likes to nurse for his nap and whenever he wants to cuddle.

We are only nursing at nap and bedtime. He likes to ask at other times during the day, especially in the mornings but he's okay with me saying no and having a snack instead.

His big one is at nap, bedtime is a quickie and he also is okay skipping it if I am not up for it or DH puts him to bed.

Logan is 2.5 YO. I actually feel that he would be perfectly okay weaning at this point, but I have gone this far nursing through the pregnancy and I am going to enjoy tandeming for a while. I want the experience of nursing both!

Pretty sure by 3 or a bit before Logan will wean.

It's been a wonderful journey for us!
    Lisa

Mommy to
    Logan 5-23-07
    Colby 12-14-09

Autumn,
    Just a reminder that you can stay in the "sometimes" phase for a long time. We stayed there for so long that I really don't remember the "last" nursing session.... Things are changing, but you're likely further away from being done than you think. The other night I had to ask Mike "Was I still nursing when we started dating?" He said "Yep." And without thinking I blurted out "Did I have milk?" And he looked at me like how would I know and then and said "I guess not, huh..." so at 3, I was till nursing some.... for comfort. If you want to let it go gradually you can.
    Mother to Emily June, b. Sept 18, 2005 and Lucy Quinn, b. 1/20/2012

“Buy the ticket, take the ride."
    Hunter S. Thompson

Excitement on the Side: Who doesn't love a confident woman with long boobs...

Henry will be two in December, so I guess we almost count.

Right now he wants to nurse before bed, occassionally in the morning when he first wakes up. He is even nursing despite the fact that I am 5 months pregnant and don't have any milk left. Maybe the colostrum will come soon!

He is OK with me saying no or redirecting him most times. He sometimes wants to nurse or fiddle with my breasts during the day, and that is when I use distraction b/c I am really sore right now. I ahve always felt that if he truly seems OK with distraction or 'not right now', then it is the right thing to do. I think sometimes he wants the comfrot and cuddling, not really the breast, and so we ahve worked to find other ways to fill the comfort/cuddling needs.

I don't if any of this helps.
    Mommy to DS - 12/29/2007 and DD - 4/11/2010
    We are taking tandem nursing day by day

My daughter will be 2 next month. We nurse a lot more than I would like to, honestly. I'm not sure I could average it even, because it really can vary from day to day, week to week. It seems like she will have a 2 week phase where we really cut down, like maybe 3 a day, and then all of a sudden, the next 2 weeks are 8-10 times a day again, plus a whole bunch at night.

For several months now, I have been able to make her wait if it is during the daytime, especially if we are out and about, I just tell her, "milk is something we will have when we get home"

Aaaah, but nighttime, totally different story. About 2 or so months ago, I really, really wanted to nightwean her. So, first, I just started waiting and not offering too soon. Then, I started limiting her. I would tell her, "just 2 big sips, and then milks has to go to sleep" She would nod, I would let her nurse for a moment, pop her off, and she would rollover, go back to sleep. I really thought I was seeing success. Then, all of sudden, she went back to asking more, and not accepting any limits. I could see she had molars coming, thought that was why, and that it would pass. Some exhausted weeeks later, not passing. I started trying to put some limits again, and she is FREAKING OUT!! I am going through a terrible time not knowing the right thing to do.

Anyway, hope I am not hijacking the post, but that is where we are at. I actually should start a new post to look for advice, as I am feeling like I have not idea what I am doing!!

My son is just under two, and we are mainly nursing as "book ends" to sleep. That is, before and after napping, and before, during, and after night-time sleep. When he is not sick or teething, and if I work outside the home that day, we will nurse a minimum of 3 times in 24 hours. If he is fussy and I am home with him, we nurse a maximum of 7-8 times in 24 hours.

I lots of times wonder if that is "normal" for other extended-nursing moms. Off to peruse the other posts!

-Lisa
    Nursing DS since 12/07. Always voraciously on all mothering-related topics. Switched to cloth when DS was 13 months, and haven't looked back.

Soo....it's happening at my house.
    So my little boy tried to come tell me Good night the other day. Like "Goodnight Mommy. I will see tomorrow." And I started to cry. And he said "what's wrong Mommy?" And I said "You don't need me." And he said "I am growing up." And he patted my back. And then he grabbed my hand and said "It's OK Mommy we can nurse." And we did....but we really either do it in the morning or at night. And it's not usually both and there is no rhyme or reason to when. But...I can't believe it. He doesn't need it to wake up or go to sleep. I can still count on nap times. On the days he still takes naps......We are almost done.

Way too lazy for formula

DS still has a long morning nurse-awake, and nurses to sleep, but besides that it's just a couple of times a day. I don't know if I'm happy or sad about that...
    Imma to AA, born at home 11/12/07 , juggling , working, APing , cloth diapering , - and . I'm done - yay!

http://bf.lilypie.com/KmpEm6.png