Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Can I switch how I pump?

Default Can I switch how I pump?

Hello, I have 3 month old twin boys, who were 8 weeks early. Spent 5 weeks in the NICU, so I pumped and despite having 'perfect' bf breasts according to my LC, it just doesn't work for me, but I so wish it did!! Anyways, the LC told me to pump, start off with both breasts for 15 minutes, then do one for 15 min, then the other for 15, for a total of 45 minutes pumping. It was ok to do it that way when the boys were small and sleeping all the time, but now they're home it's getting harder to keep up as they are awake more, changing eating schedules etc etc. I've seen ladies say they pump for much less time and get about the same amount as I do, approx 5-6 oz/breast. if I switch how I pump now, will that mess up my supply? Also, I don't turn my pump up very high, just past on really, but in the past when I have tried it sounds really bogged down, like it can't keep up and it clicks, is there something wrong with it? It doesn't really seem to pump any harder either. Thank you for any insight!!

Tara

Edited to add my goal for pumping is to April, then stop, but have a ton of frozen, hoping to take them as close to their adjusted 1 year in October as possible.
    Last edited by @llli*moo4-2; November 23rd, 2009 at 04:41 PM.

Default Re: Can I switch how I pump?

Anyone?

Default Re: Can I switch how I pump?

It was ok to do it that way when the boys were small and sleeping all the time, but now they're home it's getting harder to keep up as they are awake more, changing eating schedules etc etc.
    I bet this is challenging!!! Wow! Keeping up with one baby while exclusively pumping is a lot of work- keeping up with 2 babies sounds like double or triple that. Congrats on making it work!!!

I've seen ladies say they pump for much less time and get about the same amount as I do, approx 5-6 oz/breast. if I switch how I pump now, will that mess up my supply?
    This is a hard question to answer- every mom responds differently to the pump, and different pump models work differently for every mom. So it's difficult to say if changing your pump routine will alter your milk output. You could try it for a few days and see, and then go back to your original routine if you feel like you're not having good results.

Also, I don't turn my pump up very high, just past on really, but in the past when I have tried it sounds really bogged down, like it can't keep up and it clicks, is there something wrong with it? It doesn't really seem to pump any harder either. Thank you for any insight!!
    What sort of pump do you have? What you describe sounds like it could be a problem- many pumps do wear down after months of heavy use! You might have your LC take a look- she should be able to tell you if it's working properly or not.

Edited to add my goal for pumping is to April, then stop, but have a ton of frozen, hoping to take them as close to their adjusted 1 year in October as possible.
    That's a good goal! But I'd consider doing some pumping until the babies reach their (adjusted) first birthday- lactating is so good for your body (less cancer, less osteoporosis, less diabetes, etc.) that it's worth doing it for as long as possible.
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"