Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Recommitted to BFing

Default Recommitted to BFing

Hello ladies!

So, the first two weeks were great. Then I got an infection that kept me from BFing. Then I think I had some plugged ducts, that made getting back up to speed after the infection a challenge. Then I was told to supplement with formula until the nursing sessions got longer and the formula feedings got shorter...but the opposite happened. By yesterday I was so disheartened I made an emergency appointment with an LC for today.

She told me that although I am still making milk...its such a small amount that this isnt an issue of increasing supply...but completely relactating. She also told me that even with my best effort it might not work. CRUSHING!

So I'm here completely recommitted to nursing, no matter the effort. This is what I'm doing as of today:

1. Pumping for 5-10 minutes hourly until midnight, then pumping once at 4, then resuming hourly pumping at 8.
    2. Putting baby to breast as often as she will let me. She's a good latcher...but peeved at the low supply.
    3. Mothers milk tea
    4. Oatmeal cookies
    5. Emailed the doc for a domperidone scrip... probably wont get it.
    6. Crossing fingers and hoping.

I might go buy some odouls tomorrow too. I'm just going to try everything I can until I either succeed and pray I dont burn out along the way.

Any tricks/tips I have missed?

Default Re: Recommitted to BFing

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*workinonit View Post
    Any tricks/tips I have missed?
    Actually, it sounds like you're doing pretty much everything that can be done! But google "supplemental nursing system" anyway- it's a device that many moms find tricky to master, but it allows you to supplement your baby on the breast instead of by bottle. That means less likelihood of nipple confusion, and since the baby sucks on breast and SNS simultaneously, it can help boost supply.

I think your LC was being very cautious with her advice- trying not to build up false hope. But if you're dedicated, and you keep doing what you're doing, and you're patient, I think there's a very good chance that you can get back on track.
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

Just so you know, you don't need a scrip for Domperidone. Go to www.inhousepharmacy.com and you get a month's supply for $50
    Courtney
    Ever 06.26.02
    Lyric 12.26.08 (Holy sheep! Nursing at 30 months and counting!)

Breastmilk is better than any udder milk! ~Author Unknown

The good news is my OB just emailed me that she will call it in to the pharmacy tomorrow! Here's hoping I can pick it up before the holiday.

This marathon pumping is killing my nipples. They arent cracked...but they're burning. What can I do to ease the pain?

Well are they burning like thrush? If it's not thrush you can use Soothies gel pads, they help a lot! Can you turn down the suction a little on the pump?

No, just burning like they've been messed with too much...just sore. I think the sheilds are too small for me. I will need to get more but going into the holiday weekend who knows when!