Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: cereal at 3.5 mos?

Default cereal at 3.5 mos?

My DS is 3 1/2 mos now. At his checkup Saturday he weighed in at 17 pounds. I have been EBFing. My doctor said I can start cereal (rice oatmeal or barley). My 2 older boys were not this big at this age so I didn't start cereal this young. I was wondering if anyone else has. If so how did you give it (bottle?) I am just looking for some feedback.

I should also mention that he is spitting up a lot all of the time. He is on med for this and I have altered my diet by eliminating dairy and soy, but haven't seen much of an improvement yet with spitup and green poo. I am also block feeding him small amounts often but he still has major reflux. Doc said he's not concerned since he's gaining fine. But really I have to change my shirts throughout the day as well as him.

Any comments or advice is welcome. Thanks!
    Mom to three boys, all bf'd and thriving

Default Re: cereal at 3.5 mos?

Here's what kellymom has to say about starting solids. The AAP reccomends nothing but breastmilk for the first 6 months of life. 3.5 months is very young, and I"m surprised your doctor reccomended to do this.

If you put cereal in a bottle, it could cause ear infections in your baby.

I'm Laura, mamma of 2

5-27-06

8-30-08

We love and

We have been nursing for over 2 years now!

why are all this peds so pushy with solids?mine as well she started to tell me to give solids at 4 mos but it's waaayyy tooo early!!!!
    your LO is gaining good weight and he's happy with mommy's milk,he can go on at least another 2.5 mos like this!
    kellymom link is precious,and about the spit ups...my LO had a lot until he was 4.5,but had no weight gain issues and like you said it was just a big laundry problem!he'll grow out of it,I promise!
    about green poop it could be you have an oversupply and even if you're blockfeeding he's still getting too much foremilk.maybe try to use the same breast for more time than you do now(which is how much?)
    If you also have OALD this can also be the cause of the spitups (this was my case,in fact)and that maybe could be the reason why reflux meds are not working.
    I'm Lisa,SAHM to M. 5/14/09 my velcro boy!

we made it to 19 mos!!! no end in sight
    always and (I'd like to have a just LO and mom cosleeping smilie...)
    food sensitivity to dairy,apple and orange
    we just started to put cloth on
    if I'm here I'm
    love this forum!!!

I was surprised when he recommended it too - I really like him and never really contradicted anything he recommended but this one I am iffy.

I am blockfeeding using the same side for three feedings every two hours approx. After a feeding the burps don't always come so easily either. When I do let down I try to empty onto a burp cloth first then continue.

The spitting up really gets to me and brings me to tears at times. I am constantly changing our clothes - literally I feel like I should be wearing a raincoat. I just feel like I am giving him the best by bfing just so that he can spit it up?

I did see the link on Kellymom as I was searching online for some answers.
    Mom to three boys, all bf'd and thriving

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*my3boys View Post
    The spitting up really gets to me and brings me to tears at times. I am constantly changing our clothes - literally I feel like I should be wearing a raincoat. I just feel like I am giving him the best by bfing just so that he can spit it up?
    I used to cry too and think of all this wasted breastmilk!my son was spitting up huge amounts of milk and as with the gulping was swallowing lots of air it was also quite explosive!
    I was sooo worried!but if you see your baby happy after he spits up then it's really nothing to worry about.(they're called ''happy spitters'')
    did you try to change the nursing position?try nursing laying down so the baby can dribble off the extra milk and even if it could sound strange the milk will ''go down'' better in this position.
    I'm Lisa,SAHM to M. 5/14/09 my velcro boy!

we made it to 19 mos!!! no end in sight
    always and (I'd like to have a just LO and mom cosleeping smilie...)
    food sensitivity to dairy,apple and orange
    we just started to put cloth on
    if I'm here I'm
    love this forum!!!

I have a reflux baby too. He has severe reflux, which is now under control but initially led to weight loss.

First, as PP mentioned, AAP recommends breastmilk only until 6 months. As for adding rice cereal to milk to help with reflux, this is truly a hit or miss. My LO reacted horribly to an attempt at 3 months of introducing rice cereal. He remained EBF until 7 months as he didn't tolerate solids at 6 months, and even now he only tolerates oatmeal and pears. His reflux has been controlled/lessened by Prevacid and Mylanta.

I also had issues with fore/hindmilk imbalance and did block feeding to regain balance. I went to feeding same side for 5-6 hours unless DS indicated breast was empty. After doing this for about 5 days, things were much better. So, you might try increasing your feed time per breast.

Hope you're able to find some relief.
    Mommy to Odin
    Earth Day Baby 2009
    I'm a Baby-Wearing, Co-Sleeping, No-Cry Mommy

They recommend that you wait until 6 months for any solids.

However we did rice cereal at 4 months and DS LOVED it. We never had any problems, and I just spooned a little in his mouth when we started and mixed it with BM. I would not recommend putting any in a bottle.

If you can wait a bit I would. 3.5 months is so little!!!
    Lisa

Mommy to
    Logan 5-23-07
    Colby 12-14-09

Your doc's advice doesn't jive with the American Academy of Pediatrics policy statement on Breastfeeding and the Use of Human Milk, which says that "Pediatricians and parents should be aware that exclusive breastfeeding is sufficient to support optimal growth and development for approximately the first 6 months of life," that "complementary foods rich in iron should be introduced gradually beginning around 6 months of age," and that "introduction of complementary feedings before 6 months of age generally does not increase total caloric intake or rate of growth and only substitutes foods that lack the protective components of human milk."

I know the reflux issue is challenging- but to me the soiled shirts would be a worthwhile price to pay for giving your baby optimal nutrition.
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"