Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: When can I stop pumping?!

Default When can I stop pumping?!

Lyric is nearing 11 months in a few days. I currently pump 3x/day at work for 30min./session. Needless to say and as some of you know already, I HATE it. I'm taking 90mg of Domperidone/day also, so I can get enough milk from pumping. I plan to breastfeed until Lyric self-weans. She eats anywhere from 7-10oz while I'm away at work (11 hours) plus 2-3 "meals" and a few snacks.

My questions are, at what point can I wean off the pumping sessions and Dom? What is a good age? How should I do it?

It's been so long since I had a baby, that I can't remember at what age you can cut down on bottles...
    Courtney
    Ever 06.26.02
    Lyric 12.26.08 (Holy sheep! Nursing at 30 months and counting!)

Breastmilk is better than any udder milk! ~Author Unknown

Default Re: When can I stop pumping?!

Breastmilk is supposed to be the baby's primary source of nutrition until age 1. So, do you have a freezer stash built up, or are you just covering L's needs on a day-to-day basis? And what are L's eating habits when it comes to solids?

If you can rely on a month's work of milk stashed in the freezer, and L is happily eating plenty of healthy solids, and you're nursing 3-5 times a day, then I think you could quite safely quit the domperidone and pumping now, and only go back to them if necessary. But if you don't have a freezer stash, and L isn't happy eating solids, then I think it makes sense to keep on with the dom and pumping for at least another month. When she hits a year, then I guess it's time to reevaluate the situation. If her solids eating patterns are good at age 1, and she'll take a bottle/sippy/cup of cow's milk, then you can definitely hang up the pump!

Congrats on making it to 11 months with pumping!
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*mommal View Post
    Breastmilk is supposed to be the baby's primary source of nutrition until age 1. So, do you have a freezer stash built up, or are you just covering L's needs on a day-to-day basis? And what are L's eating habits when it comes to solids?

If you can rely on a month's work of milk stashed in the freezer, and L is happily eating plenty of healthy solids, and you're nursing 3-5 times a day, then I think you could quite safely quit the domperidone and pumping now, and only go back to them if necessary. But if you don't have a freezer stash, and L isn't happy eating solids, then I think it makes sense to keep on with the dom and pumping for at least another month. When she hits a year, then I guess it's time to reevaluate the situation. If her solids eating patterns are good at age 1, and she'll take a bottle/sippy/cup of cow's milk, then you can definitely hang up the pump!

Congrats on making it to 11 months with pumping!
    I wasn't planning to cut the pumping until after one year, I'm just inquiring now so I can make a gameplan for weaning off the Dom and pump. I don't have a freezer stash to quit before then. L eats solid "meals" 3x/day with DCP for the four days that I work and when I'm off for three, she primarily nurses with mostly snacks and maybe one meal/day. She loves food! And she loves mama's milk just as much!

So if I was too take away at least one session at 12 months, she would be okay with approx. 6oz. while I'm gone? ( I get around 2-3.5oz. per pump session).
    Courtney
    Ever 06.26.02
    Lyric 12.26.08 (Holy sheep! Nursing at 30 months and counting!)

Breastmilk is better than any udder milk! ~Author Unknown

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*courtnidge View Post
    So if I was too take away at least one session at 12 months, she would be okay with approx. 6oz. while I'm gone? ( I get around 2-3.5oz. per pump session).
    You can also introduce another kind of milk if you want at a year and replace what you were pumping with that.

I am going to stop pumping at the end of December, my girl drinks around 7 ounces or so of my milk while she's away from me and will be 14 months old at that time. The babysitter is going to wean her off bottles over the next three weeks and starting in January she won't get them anymore.

I dropped one pumping session when Lilah was 11 months old, and a second when she was 12 months old. It doesn't seem to have impacted my supply on the days I am with her.

I am not sure about the Dom though - have you talked to your doctor? Would you be taking it if you weren't pumping?
    Tracie

Mommy to
    Lilah 10/08 nursed 25 months
    Beatrix 01/11 nursed 30 months

I'm not sure about the Dom. However does she use a sippy? does she drink sips of water with "meals"?

What I did was at 12 months I introduced cow's milk to Max (you could use whatever drink you chose), he took a few weeks to get used to the taste and by then he was proficient with a sippy.

At about 13 months I cut down to 2 sessions per day then after a few weeks down to 1x per day. All the while he was drinking more water and cow;s milk during the day. Eventually at about 15 months I pump weaned 100% (). He still nursed about 4x per day so large amounts of other liquids are not necessary. In my experience LO will make up their needs when you are together if you do this at the appripriate age.