Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Won't nurse during the day

Default Won't nurse during the day

My LO is approaching the 4 month mark and is becoming increasingly more distractable. I've begun taking her to my bedroom to nurse where it is quite and dark and that has worked until recently. In the last few days she hardly nurses at all during the day, a few sucks and then she's pulling off to look around, smile at me etc.

We co-sleep part time and last night I slept with her the whole night in the hopes that she would nurse more to make up for not eating more during the day, which she did.

I guess my question is, is it ok for her to not really eat much during the day and make up for it during the night? Her diaper output hasn't changed, still same amount.

Also, should I be concerned about my supply? Do I need to pump during the day?

Will this pass as she gets older? Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Default Re: Won't nurse during the day

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*babysmitty View Post
    My LO is approaching the 4 month mark and is becoming increasingly more distractable. I've begun taking her to my bedroom to nurse where it is quite and dark and that has worked until recently. In the last few days she hardly nurses at all during the day, a few sucks and then she's pulling off to look around, smile at me etc.

We co-sleep part time and last night I slept with her the whole night in the hopes that she would nurse more to make up for not eating more during the day, which she did.

I guess my question is, is it ok for her to not really eat much during the day and make up for it during the night? Her diaper output hasn't changed, still same amount.

Also, should I be concerned about my supply? Do I need to pump during the day?

Will this pass as she gets older? Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
    My dd went through the same thing, as I'm sure many mamas can agree with. I think it is due to them becoming more aware and interested of their surroundings and wanting to be a part of it all at the same time and still eat If her diaper output is still good, I wouldn't worry. It didn't affect my supply, that I can remember. Also, during those "on and off again" latches, she might just be efficiently getting her milk.
    It's frustrating, I know, but it's hard to get "upset" when they keep looking up at you and smiling
    Yes, it does pass somewhat when they get older. Some babies are just distracted because they want to be involved in everything and not miss a second of the day (us adults should learn to do that with life, right? ). My dd still gets distracted, but if she's hungry she won't unlatch unless she chokes on the milk I used to be able to talk on the phone (normal voice tone), watch tv, be on the computer (on the forum )...not the case any more. She wants to see it ALL
    Hang in there mama! Enjoy the night feedings and bonding!!!
    ...And we used to complain about having to get up every 2 hrs. during the middle of the night to feed, especially during growth spurts...
    Last edited by @llli*juliet1; November 21st, 2009 at 01:46 PM.
    I'm a SAHM to
    #1 Alyssa 5/26/09 BF for exactly 25 1/2mths
    #2 Emily 11/7/11 completely self-weaned as of 7/19/13
    Dealt with recurring clogged ducts, mastitis, OALD/OS, and baby reflux with both girls
    #3 Victoria 12/16/13

New sights, new goals, new directions...

Your milk supply will go down if your baby isn't nursing during the day. So, if you want to protect that supply, then I recommend you pump.

My baby does the same thing, she's 3 months old and likes to look around, smile, etc... during the day. I started offering her a bottle after each nursing and she usually will take from 1-3 ozs after I nurse her. I started that only after the Dr. was concerned about her weight gain. So a month of doing that, she gained 2 lbs between her monthly doctor appointments.

Here's a link on the distractible baby. Hope it works with you and your LO. BTW, as long as her diaper output is okay, you don't have to fear about her intake.
    Love is not consolation. It is light. -Friedrich Nietzsche

I'm Irys, going thru the struggles of being a mom, wife, student, daughter...
    But am hanging on!!!

Mom to K, born August 16th, 2008
    Expecting A April 7th, 2010

It may not be necessary to pump. Reverse cycling is a popular thing and although baby is with you during the day she is getting most milk at night. By 4 months your supply should be pretty well established but you do still need to watch it.
    My so was like that as well and I usually did 1-2 pumping sessions if he wasn't emptying both breasts at least 7 or 8 times per 24 hour period. I really dont think bottles are necessary if the output is good and baby is happy and healthy. This is a phase, and it's a beautiful one where she is noticing the world around her in the comfort of your arms.

You could also try a nursing necklace to direct some of that attention.

Thanks for the insight ladies! I thought this might be what it was but the first day it happened I freaked out and thought it could be a nursing strike (first time neurotic mom!)

I should clarify that DD does eat a bit during the day, just not as well and often as she did before (i.e. used to be every 2 hours at least).

I don't think she's eating as much as 8-10 times in 24 hours. It's close but since this just started I'm going to keep track for a few days to see. Diaper output still seems in-line with her normal routine.

Should I just pump when I get uncomfortable or at specific times?