Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: cow's milk

Default cow's milk

Addy (13 mos) nurses a lot and eats small amounts of food 4x per day. Recently I gave her a taste of a glass of cow's milk I was drinking, and she LOVED it. She wanted a sip and I didn't think too much of it at the time, but once I saw how much she wanted, I limited it to avoid giving her an upset tummy since she's not used to it. Now whenever I drink milk, she goes crazy wanting to have some. Since she seems to get the vast majority of her calories from BM, and cow's milk isn't as good for her as that, I don't really like the idea of giving her cow's milk. DH says maybe I should just give her cow's milk if she really likes it, and that it's ok at this point if that leads to her nursing a little less. What should I do?

Default Re: cow's milk

What do you want to do? If he's right and it leads her "away" from nursing - is that okay with you? She doesn't need the milk at this point given the amount youre nursing - (or ever for that matter as the things she'd get from the dairy can be had from other sources )

(and just to be a snot - would he say to give her twinkies if she liked them )

So what do you want to do?
    Click here to find an LLL leader near you...or call 1 877 4 LA LECHE for help now.

"No one can make you feel inferior without your consent."
    Eleanor Roosevelt

"Do not go where the path may lead, go instead where there is no path and leave a trail."
    Emerson

Ban the bags. ......... Watch your language. ....... Help keep Dr Newman's clinic open!

We demand that our childcare providers are CPR certified... why don't we demand the same of ourselves! Get certified!

I lost 22 lbs in 8 months... with a bit of determination and common sense information from this book.

Default Re: cow's milk

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*number4 View Post
    What do you want to do? If he's right and it leads her "away" from nursing - is that okay with you? She doesn't need the milk at this point given the amount youre nursing - (or ever for that matter as the things she'd get from the dairy can be had from other sources )

(and just to be a snot - would he say to give her twinkies if she liked them )

So what do you want to do?
    Yeah that!!!

If you're not so hot on giving her cow's milk- which you don't need to do- but you feel like her thirst for cow-juice indicates a desire/need for more dairy, you could offer her yogurt instead. It's much less likely to upset her tummy than cow's milk.
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"