Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Lump under nipple in 7 month old's breast

Default Lump under nipple in 7 month old's breast

My daughter had "breast buds" for a few weeks after birth- due to my estrogen pediatrician said. They went away and haven't come back and I've been breastfeeding her all along. Yesterday I noticed a lump/swelling right at the nipple of her left breast (under skin, but moves easily). I'm worried and planning to take her to pedi next week....but was hoping for some insight from you all. I read online that my hormones in breastmilk could cause this and its nothing to worry about. Hoping that is true. Any ideas?

Default Re: Lump under nipple in 7 month old's breast

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*kdjbaby View Post
    My daughter had "breast buds" for a few weeks after birth- due to my estrogen pediatrician said. They went away and haven't come back and I've been breastfeeding her all along. Yesterday I noticed a lump/swelling right at the nipple of her left breast (under skin, but moves easily). I'm worried and planning to take her to pedi next week....but was hoping for some insight from you all. I read online that my hormones in breastmilk could cause this and its nothing to worry about. Hoping that is true. Any ideas?
    I'm thinking it could be exactly that...a swollen breast bud. I think that's what my mother said my brother had when he was a baby (1974) actually. She said that the dr "squeezed" it, and milk came out I'm pretty sure there's a more modern way of treating it, but I'm guessing that's what it could be caused by the hormones, like you said. Definitely mention it to your pedi and keep an eye on the size of it. In the meantime, you could try massaging it to see if it goes down. Kind of like those "lumps" we get under our arms caused by swollen ducts, KWIM?
    I'm a SAHM to
    #1 Alyssa 5/26/09 BF for exactly 25 1/2mths
    #2 Emily 11/7/11 completely self-weaned at 20 mths
    #3 Victoria 12/16/13

New sights, new goals, new directions...

with juliet1- except I think I remember reading that you're not supposed to try to express anything from a swollen breast bud. Not sure if massage is the way to go if that's true.
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*mommal View Post
    with juliet1- except I think I remember reading that you're not supposed to try to express anything from a swollen breast bud. Not sure if massage is the way to go if that's true.
    true. Don't try to express it yourself . Maybe during bathtime let the warm water run on it while you rub gently a couple of times and see if you start noticing a difference. If not, I'd leave it alone until pedi sees it.
    I'm a SAHM to
    #1 Alyssa 5/26/09 BF for exactly 25 1/2mths
    #2 Emily 11/7/11 completely self-weaned at 20 mths
    #3 Victoria 12/16/13

New sights, new goals, new directions...

I just found something very similar in my 7 month old daughters breast. Please share what your Dr. had to say, I am concerned and am trying to find answers/explantions on the web. Will be making an appointment as well!

My son also had a lump in his breast. His Dr. said it was a cluster of hormones and not to worry. It did go away on its own.
    He also said that infant girls will sometimes excrete milk or even have what looks to be a menstrual cycle from these same hormones.