Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Pumping due to pain, is 2oz a time normal?

Default Re: Pumping due to pain, is 2oz a time normal?

Don't be mad at yourself! You have just been doing what you needed to to get through this very difficult time!

Can you afford to rent a hospital grade pump?

People have gotten their babies back to the breast after a much longer time on bottles than that - and it's great that you got him to sort of latch on. You will get there!
    Tracie

Mommy to
    Lilah 10/08 nursed 25 months
    Beatrix 01/11 nursed 30 months

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*sim1985 View Post
    Do you think it might be too late for any real improvement though? He's been on a bottle since he was 10 days and he's now a month
    No, I don't think it's too late! There are cases where moms have had success even after significant time has gone by. There was just a post on this forum from someone who finally got her 4 month-old baby to nurse (and this was a baby with Down's Syndrome, too!). And my Mom managed to get my sister back to the breast after 3 months off (due to medical reasons).

I have the Ameda Lactaline. I'd like a hospital grade one but I can't afford to change it now.
    My understanding is that the Lactaline is a good pump. Maybe the LC will be able to hook you up with a hospital-grade one for a while- it can't hurt to ask!

I'm really mad at myself for how things have worked out so far.
    Please don't be! I know so many moms who have had your experience, and not too many of them persevere as far as you have. You should be proud of yourself!
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*mommy2lilah View Post
    People have gotten their babies back to the breast after a much longer time on bottles than that
    Oh good- there's some hope then!

I fed him twice today but neither time was right and I am sore. Argh.

Just looked through my hospital discharge information to see if there are any helpful numbers in there because I can't find anything on the net. There are a couple of support groups in neighbouring towns so I will see if I can pop along to one next week.

Thanks all for walking me through this!

PS. Ye Gods, why did no one tell me fenugreek tastes like that? I think I'll buy some capsules...

Good luck! Maybe your hospital has lactation consultants? I can't remember what you said in your original post, was it that there are two but one was sick or something? Anyway, good idea to look at the discharge papers. Also, have you looked to see if there are local La Leche League meetings? You can find the phone numbers of the leaders and call them to see if they have recommendations.
    Tracie

Mommy to
    Lilah 10/08 nursed 25 months
    Beatrix 01/11 nursed 30 months

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*mommy2lilah View Post
    I can't remember what you said in your original post, was it that there are two but one was sick or something?
    They were both sick, or one was on holiday, I don't remember either. There's a support meeting in a nearby town tomorrow, I'm hoping to go to it.

Thanks!