Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Should I be offering other milks?

Default Should I be offering other milks?

Now that DS has turned one should I begin offering other milk besides my own? I'm in no hurry to wean. I plan on letting him wean himself. But should I let him try something else when he is not with me? He has never successfully drank EBM through bottle or sippy. The last couple of months he has started staying with grandma or his aunt and uncle for about 4-6 hrs at a time. THey will offer him a sippy of my milk but he refuses, and so I usually just send him with lots of solids and tell them to give him sips of water to stay hydrated. But maybe now I should take milk? I have read on previous forums that a lot of mamas arent a fan of regular store bought cows milk. Is there something else I should give? almond? goat? or just continue on as we have been? thanks mamas!
    Hello! I'm Alayna, mama to Lennon Born November 18, 2008

Peace!

Default Re: Should I be offering other milks?

In your situation I would continue doing exactly what you have been doing.

Have you tasted you milk to see if it has excess lipase (soapy flavor)? Not that it's a big deal if he doesn't drink your milk for a few hours, but it could be why he doesn't want it.

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*sixyearplan View Post
    In your situation I would continue doing exactly what you have been doing.

Have you tasted you milk to see if it has excess lipase (soapy flavor)? Not that it's a big deal if he doesn't drink your milk for a few hours, but it could be why he doesn't want it.
    No i haven't ever tasted more than a drop or so. But I wouldn't think that's it because he still seems to love it and wants to nurse all the time. At least all night!!!! I just didn't offer a bottle until it was too late (around 6 months).

I know the conventional idea is to give milk starting at one and I guess I just started thinking I needed to do that to...?
    Hello! I'm Alayna, mama to Lennon Born November 18, 2008

Peace!

Excess lipase only really affects expressed milk.

http://www.kellymom.com/bf/pumping/l...essedmilk.html

naw you don't have to use milk or milk subs unless they stop nursing well.

more info here:

http://www.kellymom.com/nutrition/so...s.html#cowmilk

I don't give cow's milk to my one year old. She only gets breast milk and water as far as fluids go. As long as lo nurses at least 3-4 times a day that should be enough milk to meet his needs.
    ~ Theresa
    wife to Mike and mommy to Clara (9-5-08) 2 years and going strong!!

with the PPs- as long as you're nursing several times a day, your child's calcium needs are being met and there's no need to offer any beverages other than water. However, if you want to offer cow's/goat's/almond milk, go right ahead! Some kids like it, others don't.

Don't worry if your child doesn't like milk even after she weans- there are plenty of other ways to get her calcium needs met (cheese, yogurt, leafy green vegetables, tofu, etc.).
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

I would not worry about it. They should go from BM -----> Nutritious solid foods + water. Not BM ----> CM (unless you birthed a cow )

We never did any CM or a replacement milk. DS gets his calcium through cheese and yogurts.

You're doing the right thing momma.
    Lisa

Mommy to
    Logan 5-23-07
    Colby 12-14-09

Personally I offer LO (almost 13 months) a variety of milks in a sippy cup a few times a day. Almond, soy, rice, and organic cow milk are the options. She gets an equal variety of them all. FWIW she gets water a few times a day plus breastmilk 8x/24 hours or so. My reasoning is not exactly scientific, but I think that the micronutrients in all the variety of milks must be good for her.
    Nursed for 18 months

My DD is almost 13 months...I haven't given her any other milk but my own. I don't plan on it until she weans herself! We are doing right by giving our babies the best we can offer. Keep up the good work!