Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Help to Stop Pumping - Questions

Default Help to Stop Pumping - Questions

Hi LLLadies,

I have set a date to hang up the horns - December 22. My baby will be 14 months old... I guess that is more than long enough to pump. Then Lilah won't have a bottle anymore. We don't give her bottles at home, she only gets them at the babysitter. She'll be home with us for two weeks and then go back to the babysitter - do you think that it is possible to just not give her bottles anymore at that point? Or should she have bottles with cow's milk or something?

Also, I'm only pumping once a day now. Should I be able to just not pump at all when I go back to work in January? Or should I expect to have to pump a little bit that first week back after nursing on demand for two weeks?

Thanks
    Tracie

Mommy to
    Lilah 10/08 nursed 25 months
    Beatrix 01/11 nursed 30 months

Default Re: Help to Stop Pumping - Questions

I would say you can skip the pumping when you return back to work. I would take the pump initially though, just in case you get uncomfortably full, you can pump to comfort.

Mama to my little Diva: Miss K (7/15/06)
    And her little sister: Lulu Pie (3/21/09)

"Don't toush da mango"
    One-handed typer Extraordinaire!
    My body creates, houses, nurtures and nourishes life. That is awesome.
    Kegel Kop says: TIGHTEN UP!

Do you think it will be ok to just stop the bottle cold turkey for Lilah? Or should I have the babysitter start to phase it over to a cup before break?
    Tracie

Mommy to

Can you start now with a sippy cup? You don't necessarily have to do cow's milk either. But try to ease her into it if you can.

Mama to my little Diva: Miss K (7/15/06)
    And her little sister: Lulu Pie (3/21/09)

"Don't toush da mango"
    One-handed typer Extraordinaire!
    My body creates, houses, nurtures and nourishes life. That is awesome.
    Kegel Kop says: TIGHTEN UP!

She uses a straw cup for water. We could never get her to take a sippy cup. I don't care if she drinks milk or not - she'll eat yogurt and cheese and so I'm not too concerned about milk intake. I'll still be nursing her. I was just curious if she would miss the bottle.

Should the babysitter try giving her the milk in a sippy cup or the straw cup to phase out the bottles, do you think?

I have no clue about bottles. All I do is fill them like a good dairy cow should
    Tracie

Mommy to

I stopped giving mine a bottle - didn't phase it out or anything like that, just stopped giving it. She didn't miss it. at 14 mo. she was mostly just playing with it anyway. I didn't give milk b/c she still nurses enough I don't have to. She had been using a sippy for some time to drink water in. Now that's what she drinks when I'm at work - just a sippy of water is available for meals/snacks/if she's thirsty.
    Proud mom of 2:
    DD 5/2008 nursed for 3 years and 3 months.
    DS born 8/2011 nursing like a champ

Sorry for the short responses...always, always, always NAK or holding a baby