Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: breast flange too small or too big?

Default breast flange too small or too big?

When I first started pumping I had not difficulties.....but now it seems as if my breast does not fit into the flange correctly. One breast more than the other. I thought that my milk supply was pretty well established, my son is 6 weeks but now all of a sudden it seems as if my breasts have changed sizes. My nipple is swollen after pumping and I think that is the main cause of the pain I have. Lastweek we did have a bad nursing session one night (he hurt the nipple) but both breast are having discomfort now, one side more than the other. So is it possible or common to have to switch sizes? I just don't know if the pumping is causing the swelling or the trauma to the nipple mixed with the pumping? And how do I know if I should go up a size or need a smaller one. My breasts are squishier but not bigger or smaller than in the past six weeks. It seems as if more of the areola is going into the flange. Also even though they are squishy I am still getting decent production and the feeling of fullness when I need to nurse or pump. ANy suggestions would help!!!

Default Re: breast flange too small or too big?

It sounds like your milk supply has evened out, which is very normal at 6 weeks. You may need to go down a size with the flanges. If it's hurting and dragging more of your breast in there, especially. I also think it's ok to have different size flanges on each side.

On one side, I am now 3 flange sizes smaller than I needed at the very beginning and four flanges smaller on the other side. I had oversupply and was very very engorged at the beginning.
    Tracie

Mommy to
    Lilah 10/08 nursed 25 months
    Beatrix 01/11 nursed 30 months

Here's a helpful article to get an idea of they fit correctly
    http://www.ameda.com/breastpumping/most/fit.aspx

thank you both, that really helped..... i think that my supply has definatley even out.....I am going to try a different size on the one side that hurts....although earlier today I just adjusted the positioning and it helped....the weird thing is it seemed as if were pulling more in so then I thought I would need a smaller size but at the same time it seemed too tight so I wasn't sure if I should go bigger or smaller (probabally because it was pulling too much of the areola in...I will go smaller!)

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*samsmom106 View Post
    (probabally because it was pulling too much of the areola in...I will go smaller!)
    That's what happened to me. Ouch!
    Tracie

Mommy to
    Lilah 10/08 nursed 25 months
    Beatrix 01/11 nursed 30 months

mommy2lilah, it is weird though....it was hard to figure out if it was too big or too small.....because it was so tight but that was just because there was more areola/nipple in there because it was too large. some of this stuff is confusing. thanks for the help, it seems like when someone else has been through the same thing I feel less crazy.