Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Starting Solids --

Default Starting Solids --

As of next week, my precious LO will be 6 months old. Where does time go!? My husband and I have been talking about letting her try some solids soon--maybe avocado or sweet potato.

I think I might be over thinking things, though, and getting a little overwhelmed. I understand that only a small amount (about a tbs?) should be given when starting out, and there should be a week between new foods. But how many times per day do I offer solids? After every nursing session? Only once per day, building up to a few times a day? When does the amount increase from 1 tbs to more?

I've read that one sign a baby is ready for solids is that she will sit up unassisted. Well, my daughter can sit for a few seconds, but often times she will slump over to the side or go forward without support. Does this one thing mean she might not be ready?

It's late and I'm feeling really unfocused. Basically, any info or experiences about those early days of solids and the natural progression of things...I'm all ears!
    First-time momma to Baby Girl M, born 5.22.09

And in the end, the love you take is equal to the love you make.

Default Re: Starting Solids --

Hi mama. Here is a link: Is my baby ready for solid foods?

Rather than stress over how much to feed your LO, maybe you can try the Baby Led Solids (BLS) approach -- skip the purees and serve soft finger foods for your LO to self-feed. Avocados and sweet potatoes are great first foods for baby. If she puts any in her mouth, great! If not, don't sweat it. Just keep offering and follow her lead. Until she's a year old, solids are just for experimenting and learning new tastes and textures. Breastmilk should still be the main source of nutrition. Even after a year, the transition to mainly solids will be gradual.

You could always nurse before offering solids or nurse after solids. The important thing is not to replace nursing session with solids yet unless you're weaning (which sounds like you're not!).

HTH!
    I'm Anna
    Proud mama to my 2 little high needs "koala bears":

Ethan born 8/23/08
    Bfed for 22 months, weaned with love 7/2010

Lucas, born 1/6/11
    Nursing strong for 19 MONTHS!

Cloth diapering 1 full-time even though I'm constantly ! Currently in potty training mode. We also and

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*ethans-mommy View Post
    Hi mama. Here is a link: Is my baby ready for solid foods?

Rather than stress over how much to feed your LO, maybe you can try the Baby Led Solids (BLS) approach -- skip the purees and serve soft finger foods for your LO to self-feed. Avocados and sweet potatoes are great first foods for baby. If she puts any in her mouth, great! If not, don't sweat it. Just keep offering and follow her lead. Until she's a year old, solids are just for experimenting and learning new tastes and textures. Breastmilk should still be the main source of nutrition. Even after a year, the transition to mainly solids will be gradual.

You could always nurse before offering solids or nurse after solids. The important thing is not to replace nursing session with solids yet unless you're weaning (which sounds like you're not!).

HTH!
    The PP gave you perfect advice.
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

I agree...your baby will let you know when she is ready Plus, always listen to your motherly instincts
    I started my son on rice cereal and then sweet potatoes...one serving of 1-2 tablespoons, in addition to the breast milk. Always try new foods in the morning or around lunch time, so you can watch for any allergic reactions.
    Good luck & Happy Feedings!!!

Our experience with starting solids was that it takes a long time to get a routine. I started offering solids at 6 months and DD only had one solid "meal" a day until probably 8 months. Then I added a second and once she developed her pincher grasp she started eating solids three times a day - sometimes with a little snack around 3 too!

When I went back to work at 8 months the solids really helped since DD wouldn't drink any EBM and then eventually she'd take about 2 oz.

DD LOVES infant oatmeal, but we didn't add that until 9 months. I think I saw something that recommended that age for some reason. But oatmeal is a big hit. She likes the turkey and whatever blends (sweet potato, rice) but other than that she prefers to self feed. So if purees don't go over well, no big deal just wait until the pincher grasp or try BLS.
    I'm Melissa, DD (01/12/2009) weaned at a little over 2 1/2 years