Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Feeding 8 1/2 month old

Default Feeding 8 1/2 month old

How often did you mamas out there feed your child(ren) when they were 8-9 months and how much? What did your menus look like for them at that age? And if you still nursed then, how often did you nurse? Thanks!

Proud Mommy to Nickolas
    ~~~2-26-2009~~~
    I love my family so much

Default Re: Feeding 8 1/2 month old

My son is 9 1/2 months and I nurse him every 3 hours and feed him other foods 2-3 times per day. An example would be for breakfast I will add in some applesauce or banana and then for lunch, sweet potatoes or veggies and then small dose of veggies and fruit for dinner time. And I let him have tastes of what I am eating. I just put things in front of him and see what he'll try. Lately, he's really been enjoying and with his four teeth, he can chew them up.

Proud Vegetarian Momma

At 8-9 months old, I nursed my baby every 1.5-3 hours and offered her food anywhere from once per day to 3 times per day. She didn't like solids and didn't eat more than a teaspoon or two of food per day until she was around 14-15 months old, so it didn't really matter what I offered her or how often I did it! (Oh, and that diet agreed with her just fine- she's always been in the higher percentiles for height and weight. So no worries if your LO isn't eating much solid food at this stage!)
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

Here is what my little one usually eats: For lunch, he eats 3 oz. of rice cereal and 2-2.5 oz. of either fruit or veggie. Then for dinner, he eats 4 oz. of oatmeal cereal and 2-2.5 oz. of fruit or veggie. He does snack on some of those gerber puff thingys when he eats lunch and dinner too. I also give him what's left of the breastmilk that I use for the cereal so he has something to wash his food down. He usually nurses every 2-4 hours ... usually he nurses at 8, 10, 2, 4:30, and 7:30 with some expressed breastmilk at 11:30 and 5:30 when he eats his solids. I've been thinking about having him eat 3 times a day because it would work better for his naps but don't want him to be eating too much solids and not enough liquid. I'm sitting on the fence here and am not sure which way to go so I thought I would see what everyone else has done for their little ones.

Proud Mommy to Nickolas
    ~~~2-26-2009~~~
    I love my family so much

DD started on tons of table foods around this age. She loves egg yolk, shredded cheese, cottage cheese (large curd and full fat), well cooked pasta (I put some sauce on it and mix in a jar of baby food squash or carrots for extra veggies), well steamed veggies (DD prefers her to then be simmered briefly in chicken stock and garlic - LOVES garlic) peas and broccoli are her favs, whole wheat bread and I let her scrap and suck on an apple that I have eaten all the skin off of from time to time. It scares me, but she LOVES it.

And at this age I still gave her bananas just broken into three, large, fist sized pieces. A few weeks ago (10 mo) I started cutting it bc she got to the shove-the-whole-thing-in-point.

I also give her bits of whatever we are eating. So she's had beans out of chili, the insides of pot pies (her favorite), broccoli and potato out of broccoli soup...

I just always keep things like pasta and frozen veggies on hand for nights when we are having something she can't eat much of, that way I'm always prepared.
    I'm Melissa, DD (01/12/2009) weaned at a little over 2 1/2 years