Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Lipase questions

Default Lipase questions

How long do I have to keep the milk to find out if it gets icky?
    Do I have to try some in the fridge and some in the freezer to be sure?
    Anything else I should check before building a freezer stash (I can't right now because we have thrush so I am doing homework)

Since I didn't have issues last time I wouldn't epect to this time but Susan's experience got me scared.
    proud but exhausted working mammy to two high needs babies

• my surprise baby: the one and only D-Man born 3 weeks late (5/5/08) at 9 lbs 14 oz and 21.5 inches, and
    • the shock H-Girl born about a week late (10/7/09) at 8lbs 15oz and 20.75 inches.

If I am here I am covered in baby (probably two) and fighting for control of the keyboard.

Family beds are awesome

Wondering if you have PPD? Take the screening and see your doctor. You deserve to feel better.

Default Re: Lipase questions

Sorry for scaring you

I would keep some in the fridge either for the full 8 days or until you determine when it changes, if it does.

I am not sure about the freezer. I had heard about mamas stashing it for weeks to months, not using it and then finding out that it tastes bad. Hopefully someone else can suggest, but maybe store a few bags and check then weekly

Hopefully you don't have a problem. I was sure startled to develop issues so late in the game.
    Susan
    Mama to my all-natural boys: Ian, 9-4-04, 11.5 lbs; Colton, 11-7-06, 9 lbs, in the water; Logan, 12-8-08, 9 lbs; Gavin, 1-18-11, 9 lbs; and an angel 1-15-06
    18+ months and for Gavin, born with an incomplete cleft lip and incomplete posterior cleft palate
    Sealed for time and eternity, 7-7-93
    Always babywearing, cosleeping and cloth diapering. Living with oppositional defiant disorder and ADHD. Ask me about cloth diapering and sewing your own diapers!

You're smart to be checking now. I sure will check immediately next time. I didn't find out until Lilah was 12 months old and she is mostly drinking it, so I'm just not freezing it anymore. Mine went bad as soon as it was frozen. Thaw it out and it is so gross. It tastes like partially digested milk, which is what it is, I guess. Yuck! I also recently discovered that Thursday to Monday is ok but Thursday to Tuesday is NOT ok. I would just experiment. Next time I'll be doing some experiments and scalding milk.
    Tracie

Mommy to
    Lilah 10/08 nursed 25 months
    Beatrix 01/11 nursed 30 months

I had excess lipase last time ... so this time have been doing experiments:

- 1 oz in the fridge and taste / smell every day
    - 1 oz frozen (a couple bags) and test after being in the freezer after 1 week, 2 weeks, etc

We just did the 1st test of stored EBM and its looking like lipase again. Not a big deal - just need to go dig up the scalding instructions again.
    Lynn
    DS1: bf 7/2006 -> 4/2009; multiple food allergies
    DS2: bf 9/2009 -> ???
    ; multiple food allergies
    Breastmilk Donor - http://hmbana.org/index/donatemilk
    Click HERE to learn about baby led solids (BLS) / baby led weaning (BLW)