Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Oald And Mastitis

Default Oald And Mastitis

Hi-
    So I think I overproduce and wound up with mastitis this weekend...FUN FUN FUN!
    I have been doing research and figuring out that I should try just giving one breast per feeding, which is what I have been trying today... However I have a few questions- feel free to answer any or all.
    Thanks!

1- She seems to be emptying the first breast and wants more about 1/2 hour later- this is new today- she has never done this before (3 1/2 w/o). I have been giving her the other breast- just cause she seems like she wants more...good idea or bad?

2- I would like to pump and store (just a little) I have to work outof the house (somepace where I can only pump and dump) so I need to have breast milk stored up for my husband to use (otherwise we have to supplement with formula). Any advice for pumping without creating more supply problems.

Default Re: Oald And Mastitis

Quote Originally Posted by jessbashline
    1- She seems to be emptying the first breast and wants more about 1/2 hour later- this is new today- she has never done this before (3 1/2 w/o). I have been giving her the other breast- just cause she seems like she wants more...good idea or bad?
    You can do it either way...and she may be wanting more because she is going through a growth spurt. Some people find that they do fine with blockfeeding and feeding on one breast for one feeding and the other breast for the next feeding. Some people have to stretch their blocks out even further...going for 2 feedings on one breast and then switching, for example. I switched every other feeding and did just fine, but I think it is sort of a trial and error for every individual.

2- I would like to pump and store (just a little) I have to work outof the house (somepace where I can only pump and dump) so I need to have breast milk stored up for my husband to use (otherwise we have to supplement with formula). Any advice for pumping without creating more supply problems.
    Why do you have to pump and dump? I have a pump that comes with a cooler and I store it in that until I get home. Most of the time I just rinse the pump parts, but you can also buy wipes to clean them up. I have even just stuck them in the cooler, if I couldn't rinse them, and reused them dirty. (I work in the field a lot) I have 2 sets, so if I know I won't be able to rinse, I can switch the pieces out. Eventually, I would think you would run out of stored milk, if you can't replace what you use with milk you pump while away from your lo.

I hope you find something in there that helps you! You are doing a great thing for your lo!

Erin
    Wife to a grizzly
    Mama to my little deer (12/05) my loving bear cub (9/07--), and our little tiger (3/22/10)
    Born by one c-section and 2 amazing VBACs

Miles in 2012: 350.5/900 (Actual Miles Ran: 189)
    Miles in 2011: 708.5 (Actual Miles Ran: 509)
    Miles in 2010: 800.5 (Actual Miles Ran: 620)

January Miles: 37.5/75
    February Miles: 59/75
    March Miles: 42.5/60
    April Miles: 64
    May Miles: 41/70
    June Miles: 59
    July Miles: 39.5

227.5 miles on my new shoes
    338 miles on my old shoes

I have to pump and dump because I live in NYC- and taking the subway all day- with a large pump (and cooler) as well as my work stuff is not feasable for me. I was hoping to be able to pump while at home (I am only out 2 days a week) so I was hoping to pump enough on the other days to at least make up to half of her feedings (if I have to I iwll give formula).

I have the ameda purely yours with a backpack--and its really not all that cumbersome, especially when worn as a backpack. The cooler fits tidily in the backpack--but I do understand having a lot to carry. I just hate to see the white gold go to waste!!!

Take care--how's the block feeding going?

Erin
    Wife to a grizzly
    Mama to my little deer (12/05) my loving bear cub (9/07--), and our little tiger (3/22/10)
    Born by one c-section and 2 amazing VBACs

Miles in 2012: 350.5/900 (Actual Miles Ran: 189)
    Miles in 2011: 708.5 (Actual Miles Ran: 509)
    Miles in 2010: 800.5 (Actual Miles Ran: 620)

January Miles: 37.5/75
    February Miles: 59/75
    March Miles: 42.5/60
    April Miles: 64
    May Miles: 41/70
    June Miles: 59
    July Miles: 39.5

227.5 miles on my new shoes
    338 miles on my old shoes

Hello and welcome!

Hi-
    However I have a few questions- feel free to answer any or all.
    Thanks!

Many moms with oald find it helps to offer the "empty" breast if the baby wants to nurse again soon after a feeding. This helps to ensure that baby gets the fatty hindmilk that satisfies her hunger that comes at the end of a feeding. It also sends signals to your body that it does not have to make quite so much milk.

How comfortable are you with hand expression? Often, moms experiencing oversupply problems notice that expressing their milk manually causes less trouble for them than mechanical pumps. You could hand express a little before dd nurses, and you could also hand express on the side that your dd is not nursing on...just have a clean container ready to catch the spray. Maybe this is something that dh could help with until you get the hang of it?

And you wouldn't believe the compact pumping options there are these days for busy working moms such as yourself. In addition to the one epbrown mentioned, there is also a pump available that you can wear right under your clothing. One of the mamas in our local LLL group was able to use it to pump while working a very physical job at a factory. Just a thought, fwiw.

HTH,

Tiana