Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: How long should I pump after milk stops?

Default How long should I pump after milk stops?

Curious how long everyone lets the pump go after the milk has stopped coming out? I haven't been letting mine run longer than like a minute, but I get annoyed just sitting there and not doing anything. I got one of the hands free bras today and I think that will help me keep going longer.

Default Re: How long should I pump after milk stops?

It depends on why you are pumping - for occasional use, to build supply or at work - and how much you are able to get otherwise. There isn't any need to pump after the milk stops flowing unless you are concerned about your supply.

Can you read a book or check email while you're pumping?

I would like to build a good supply, so I am able to pump enough for feedings when I go back to work. I am currently getting anywhere from .5 - 2oz each side when pumping.

Now that I got the handsfree bra I will be able to do things, before I was not able to.

that sounds pretty good given how young your baby is, and since you're pumping while still feeding fulltime. When you pump while away from baby, you'll likely be able to get a bit more since it will be replacing, rather than between, feedings.