Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Reflux question.

Default Reflux question.

We have been recently battling with reflux. Well we have upped her zantac and it has been helping but she still has times when she cries during or right after nursing and really fussy while having a bottle (sometimes she wont even drink from the bottle). And i thought that was because the medicine wasnt working. Well i was thinking that maybe it could be something i am eating....
    I dont eat spicy foods or anything like that. i do drink 2-4 cans of pepsi a day could the caffine or carbonation be causing it?
    Kelly
    Mommy to Nate (2-27-06) and
    Johanna (Hanna) (8-3-09)
    Successfully since 8-3-09 AND LOVING IT!!!

Default Re: Reflux question.

yes - it could it could indeed. though many say the little amount in there won't do much (like this link) - I can attest to less than 8 oz doing a number on baby #4 . It's sad - I miss my friend Pepsi - but I go without now. It's better for me anyhow

FWIW - if there's 38 mg of caffeine in 1 can (see here)- think of how much that is if you have 2, 4!
    Last edited by @llli*number4; November 16th, 2009 at 01:12 PM.
    Click here to find an LLL leader near you...or call 1 877 4 LA LECHE for help now.

"No one can make you feel inferior without your consent."
    Eleanor Roosevelt

"Do not go where the path may lead, go instead where there is no path and leave a trail."
    Emerson

Ban the bags. ......... Watch your language. ....... Help keep Dr Newman's clinic open!

We demand that our childcare providers are CPR certified... why don't we demand the same of ourselves! Get certified!

I lost 22 lbs in 8 months... with a bit of determination and common sense information from this book.

I guess i will try to not have pepsi for a couple days and see if that helps. The problem is i get migraines when i dont have the caffiene. LOL but i have my imitrex to take care of those until my body gets over it LOL dol you think 3 days is enough to get it out of my system to see a difference in LO?
    Kelly
    Johanna (Hanna) (8-3-09)

Frankly - if you've been maintaining an intake of 2-4 a day *I* would not suggest dropping it cold turkey. can you do 2-3 a day for a week? then take out 1 for another week. maybe add in a caffeine free one (though not the same - it might help)

go slowly. see - you're not only taking out the caff., you're taking that sugar away from your body. and in the long run that is a goooood thing to do - but cold turkey you'll have issues. go slow.

another question. if she is super fussy having a bottle - can you stop giving it to her???

and also see this link - it might help you determine her fussiness at the breast

Click here to find an LLL leader near you...or call 1 877 4 LA LECHE for help now.

Eleanor Roosevelt

"Do not go where the path may lead, go instead where there is no path and leave a trail."
    Emerson

Ban the bags. ......... Watch your language. ....... Help keep Dr Newman's clinic open!

We demand that our childcare providers are CPR certified... why don't we demand the same of ourselves! Get certified!

I lost 22 lbs in 8 months... with a bit of determination and common sense information from this book.

Good idea!! LOL but i work 2 days a week and my mom watches her so she at least has to have a bottle then. We are going to try to give her at least one bottle a day( i will pump then) so she stays used to getting it. its just a fight to get her to take it. we have been using the breastflow bottle from the begining of bottles and i guess we will try another one we have.

**crosses her fingers**
    Kelly
    Johanna (Hanna) (8-3-09)

How long are you away from her?

Eleanor Roosevelt

Emerson

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*number4 View Post
    How long are you away from her?
    I nurse her at 1030am and when i get home at 630pm.
    i only work 2 days a week
    Kelly
    Johanna (Hanna) (8-3-09)

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*zoiysiabean View Post
    I guess i will try to not have pepsi for a couple days and see if that helps. The problem is i get migraines when i dont have the caffiene. LOL but i have my imitrex to take care of those until my body gets over it LOL dol you think 3 days is enough to get it out of my system to see a difference in LO?
    I went through the same thing mama. It didn't help that I also have OALD/OS! My dd's reflux would act up when I'd have just 1 cup of coffee. I had to switch to decaff and hold off on iced teas, chocolates, sodas and anything else w/caffeine. I could see a difference within 24 hrs. Since she turned 3 months she's able to tolerate it a lot better I started testing the effects by drinking a cup of coffee (1/2 decaff and 1/2 caff), or I'd have a Dr. Pepper now and then.
    I would also have some water w/ 1/4 teaspoon of baking soda to help neutralize the acidity in my body from the soda/coffee. (I'm used to doing that because I have a bladder condition, IC).

Don't worry mama, they'll grow out of it In the meantime just limit your intake, it won't be like this forever
    Last edited by @llli*juliet1; November 16th, 2009 at 04:29 PM.
    I'm a SAHM to
    #1 Alyssa 5/26/09 BF for exactly 25 1/2mths
    #2 Emily 11/7/11 completely self-weaned as of 7/19/13
    Dealt with recurring clogged ducts, mastitis, OALD/OS, and baby reflux with both girls
    #3 Victoria 12/16/13

New sights, new goals, new directions...

Undoubtedly, the caffeine could be affecting her.

Also, DS has severe reflux, and while we found some relief with Zantac, we had to switch to Prevacid for true relief.

So, you might find two things to be necessary - cutting back on the caffeine and a change in meds.

Good luck.
    Mommy to Odin
    Earth Day Baby 2009
    I'm a Baby-Wearing, Co-Sleeping, No-Cry Mommy