Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: He doesn't like solids and will not take a bottle

Default He doesn't like solids and will not take a bottle

We just tried solids out last week (avocados). I was going to wait until he was 6 months, but he was showing all the classic signs that he was ready. Well, so far he's hates it. We've tried mashing it, putting BM in it, BLW.

The kicker is that he will not take a bottle either and I'm going back to work at the end of December. He'll take a sippy cup only if there is water!

I'm so worried that he will "starve" the 8 hours I'm away.

Default Re: He doesn't like solids and will not take a bottle

That sounds frustrating! I'm not sure what to advise regarding the bottle issue- except to keep on trying with different bottles, different sippies, and different substances in those containers. Have you been putting expressed milk in the bottles/sippies? And if so, have you tasted it? Sometimes excess lipase in the milk can cause a baby to reject the milk based on taste.

I would not worry at all about your baby refusing solids. At this age they are just for play and a chance to experiment with new tastes, textures, and motor skills, so even if he won't eat them it's important to remember that any experience with solids is a stepping stone to future success.
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

I tasted the milk and it's fine. He'll drink a few sips if he is entertained. I figured that if he wouldn't drink pumped milk during day he would have solids and then nurse as soon as I got home.

Have you tried letting him feed himself little bites of avocado? My son hated our first attempt at mashed/puree, but like to get it himself. I agree with mommal, though-solids aren't necessary for the first year

Also, we would help him take sips from a cup and that worked for us. The caregiver might have a different comfort level for that, though.

Good luck!
    I'm Sarah,
    still a , dairy free due to baby's allergy, , cloth , Momma to...
    6/17/2008 (10lbs 3oz!!)
    ! EDD (9/10/2010)
    while *still* trying to finish my dissertation!