Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: only likes walking in sling

Question only likes walking in sling

My seven-week old son only likes being in a sling or carrier only when I'm walking. It means that just wearing him around the house for start-and-stop activities doesn't work. He fusses once the rhytmic pace stops. I'd love to have some hands-free time at home. Now he lives mostly in my arms. Any tips out there? Or a guess as to when he might grow into it?

Default Re: only likes walking in sling

My daughter is 5 months old and is still that way. Which sling do you have? What position do you wear him? My daughter deals better with stop and start if she can face out or sit up very high to see what is going on. Otherwise at about 3.5 months I was able to put her down to play for longer stretches to be able to go to the bathroom alone.

My little one was the same way. My neighbors probably thought I was nuts because I would take out the recycling one item at a time just to keep moving!

She did grow out of it for the most part, but we do have some days where I end up just carrying her in my arms because she squirms too much every time movement stops.

Slings with toy rings come in handy. I attach a different toy to the sling ring's toy hook (or to the actual ring if it doesn't have a toy loop) to try and keep her busy andinterested in being in the sling (and not protest every time I stop moving). I realize she's probably too young to actually play with the toy, but maybe something interesting to look at? Also, you might want to try another carry position.

My little one loves it when I vacuum with her in the sling and will almost always fall asleep .... then I can get some work done after she's zonked.

I think this problem is pretty common, and they will grow out of it. Good luck!

Mama to Adeline Brett, breastfed for 4.5 years (12/14/05) and little Eliza June, new tiny sprite in my arms and still learning the ropes (7/18/10)

Family Blog • If I'm here I'm nursing and typing one handed ... forgive the typos!
    And I'm not a newbie at all ... I'm trying to get my old user ID working from back in the day ... paint-the-moon

We have a maya-style and a bjorn (plus the Ultimate Wrap, which we haven't tried yet.). And I, too, have put things away in the closet just to keep moving. I try to sling him for a walk daily to see if he'll settle into it...but no luck yet.