Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Baby does not nurse to sleep

Default Baby does not nurse to sleep

I think I've got the only bf baby who pretty much never nurses to sleep

this might be a blessing later on but right now has me ready to pull my hair out

any other lo who won't nurse to sleep?
    Lynn
    DS1: bf 7/2006 -> 4/2009; multiple food allergies
    DS2: bf 9/2009 -> ???
    ; multiple food allergies
    Breastmilk Donor - http://hmbana.org/index/donatemilk
    Click HERE to learn about baby led solids (BLS) / baby led weaning (BLW)

Default Re: Baby does not nurse to sleep

my ds would not (still does not) nurse to sleep. Well, other than in the middle of the night.

He use to nurse and then unlatch and look at me as if to say "now what mom?" We started rocking him with a paci and still do that
    ~Jenn~

mother of 2 boys!
    08/14/98~~03/20/08

Birth: 7lbs 12oz, 1 year: 22lbs 11oz
    until he self-weaned 4 days before his third birthday ... still on occasion ... and happily

************************************************** ************************************************** *****************
    People need to understand that when they're deciding between breastmilk and formula, they're not deciding between Coke and Pepsi.... They're choosing between a live, pure substance and a dead substance made with the cheapest oils available. ~Chele Marmet

L was like that for a few months, and I had to walk him down - in my arms, not a sling - but he outgrew it and now nurses down Enjoy it while it lasts!
    Susan
    Mama to my all-natural boys: Ian, 9-4-04, 11.5 lbs; Colton, 11-7-06, 9 lbs, in the water; Logan, 12-8-08, 9 lbs; Gavin, 1-18-11, 9 lbs; and an angel 1-15-06
    18+ months and for Gavin, born with an incomplete cleft lip and incomplete posterior cleft palate
    Sealed for time and eternity, 7-7-93
    Always babywearing, cosleeping and cloth diapering. Living with oppositional defiant disorder and ADHD. Ask me about cloth diapering and sewing your own diapers!

My DS also does not fall asleep very often when nursing - except the middle of the night. I also get that "what now mom" look!
    Melanie

Mom to
    Matthew born April 2009
    Jonathan born March 2011
    loving and

Lu does and doesn't. For naps, she nurses to sleep - evening nap I wear her down to sleep. At bedtime, she either nurses until she's sleepy then pops off and goes to sleep. Or she nurses, then pops off and wants to chat/look around/snuggle into the crook of my arm or squiggle around and finally fall asleep. It took me a while to 'get it' and just let her. I just follow her cues for what she needs when.

Have you figured out what works for M? Does he need to be rocked/walk/worn down?

Mama to my little Diva: Miss K (7/15/06)
    And her little sister: Lulu Pie (3/21/09)

"Don't toush da mango"
    One-handed typer Extraordinaire!
    My body creates, houses, nurtures and nourishes life. That is awesome.
    Kegel Kop says: TIGHTEN UP!

I X-posted in the rambling thread that DD was the same way when she was little. She was about 6 or 7 mos when she finally learned to nurse down. Until then, it required me walking with her, rocking her in my arms, rocking my body side to side, singing one lullaby (that one that starts "hush little baby"), while walking a certain path of the house, being very careful to avoid the squeaky boards. And if she caught a glimpse of DH, forget it. And the average was about 45 minutes to get her to go to sleep. And then I couldn't set her down once she did. WHY do I still occassionally experience baby fever?

Sometimes he finishes nursing pops off then bounces his head around on my breast until he gets comfy (fluffing the pillow?) then falls asleep

sometimes he needs to be walked / bounced for a long time (I end up on my exercise ball)
    Lynn

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*mama.p View Post
    WHY do I still occassionally experience baby fever?
    Because now that that part's over and she's growing, you look back and STILL wouldn't trade it. And you're crazy enough to think that you did it once so it's a piece of cake. That's what I thought and it is, just a different piece of cake, a GFDF cake.
    Last edited by @llli*mothersky; November 15th, 2009 at 09:27 PM.

"Don't toush da mango"

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*lsksam View Post
    Sometimes he finishes nursing pops off then bounces his head around on my breast until he gets comfy (fluffing the pillow?) then falls asleep

sometimes he needs to be walked / bounced for a long time (I end up on my exercise ball)
    I did this A LOT with Lu in the early days. She 'fluffed the pillow' too. I think M's working on his sweet spot. He might have a few different ones, but will settle down on which he prefers at some point. I think Lu got hers down at 5-6mos.

"Don't toush da mango"

Following his lead but wish evenings were easier so I can be with #1 more at bedtime
    Lynn