Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Questions about solids(BLS)?

Default Questions about solids(BLS)?

My LO turns 5 months in a week and I know i should wait till she turns at least 6 months ( My Ped agrees, he's very good ) but I was just wondering how BSL works. She very curious about everything i'm eating/drinking ( or anyone else for that matter)... she tries to reach for my plate and gets upset when i don't let her grab it, she needs to eat when i'm eating but then gets preoccupied by me eating that she won't nurse and gets upset. I've tried waiting till she's done nursing to eat, but doesn't matter she still wants what/or anyone else has. Also she'll look at me when i'm eating and move her mouth up and down, but she has started to mimic people now. I started giving her a spoon of her own when i'm eating to try and occupy her and she naws on that(she has very good hand eye coordination, or i should say hand to mouth). Is this a sign that she'll be ready for solids soon? what are the signs i'm looking for when she's ready?
    I'm Melanie and back to being a SAHM again... which is lovely!
    Mom to DD1 Peyton born June 22, 2009 @ 4:40pm (39 weeks & 6 Days) 7 lbs & 6 Oz... Successfully BF for 25 months!
    Mom to DD2 Sadie born March 3, 2012 @ 1:44am (39 weeks & 1 day) 6 lbs & 9 Oz

Default Re: Questions about solids(BLS)?

Kellymom - Developmental signs that baby is ready for solids

From that link:
    Although the maturity of baby’s digestive system is not something that we can readily observe, research indicates that 6 months appears to be ideal for avoiding the allergies and other health risks of too-early solids. After this point, different babies are ready for solids at different times -- developmental readiness for solids cannot be determined using a calendar. Most babies are developmentally ready for solids somewhere between 6 and 8 months.

Signs that indicate baby is developmentally ready for solids include:

- Baby can sit up well without support.
    - Baby has lost the tongue-thrust reflex and does not automatically push solids out of his mouth with his tongue.
    - Baby is ready and willing to chew.
    - Baby is developing a “pincer” grasp, where he picks up food or other objects between thumb and forefinger. Using the fingers and scraping the food into the palm of the hand (palmar grasp) does not substitute for pincer grasp development.
    - Baby is eager to participate in mealtime and may try to grab food and put it in his mouth.
    ~Jenn~

mother of 2 boys!
    08/14/98~~03/20/08

Birth: 7lbs 12oz, 1 year: 22lbs 11oz
    until he self-weaned 4 days before his third birthday ... still on occasion ... and happily

************************************************** ************************************************** *****************
    People need to understand that when they're deciding between breastmilk and formula, they're not deciding between Coke and Pepsi.... They're choosing between a live, pure substance and a dead substance made with the cheapest oils available. ~Chele Marmet

Thanks a bunch this helps!
    Mom to DD1 Peyton born June 22, 2009 @ 4:40pm (39 weeks & 6 Days) 7 lbs & 6 Oz... Successfully BF for 25 months!

Here's an idea so your LO can eat with you... my DS loves this! He is also very interested in what we do at the table but is not quite 4 months yet so we have a while to go!

I freeze EBM in a little container and then break it into chunks (a serrated knife works well if it's really hard). Then I store the chunks in the freezer and give him one or two at a time in a mesh feeder. The original plan was to use those for teething pain but it's turned into a table thing since he's starting to get antsy at meals. BTW, it's a good idea to use a bib b/c the mesh feeder thing is messy.
    "My heart, which is so full to overflowing, has often been solaced and refreshed by music when sick and weary."
    -Martin Luther

a mesh feeder? like the teether ones that look like gigantic soothers? definately worth a try.... Thanks!!!