Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Mastitis- bad advice and new issue

Default Mastitis- bad advice and new issue

I had mastitis last week. My fever got above 102 so I went to the doctor's office and the PA (physician's assistant) saw me. She was very nice and supportive of BF in general, but gave me the following advice:

Don't feed off the infected side for a few days- pump and dump only- until the symptoms abate.

I was like WTHeck?? I nodded and talked as though I would go along with it, but then called MIL for advice and she said that was baloney (as I thought). She fed all her kids through several cases of mastitis and they turned out fine.

The PA did say that not everyone agreed that it was necessary to pump and dump with the affected breast, and it went against everything I ever read about mastitis so I had no problem ignoring that advice. I went to get the antibiotic because the fever was lingering.

I have a follow-up appt. on Wed. She probably won't ask if I followed that advice, but are there any scholarly sources I can cite if needed?

Also, that clog cleared up, but now I have another one on the same breast!!! It is soooo hard to get rid of them! I'm afraid that a. it will re-infect my breast and b. it will still be there on Wed. when I go back and she'll give me more antibiotics. Pumping has not worked so far but I'm going to work with some hot compresses tonight. I've been trying to nurse in all kinds of interesting positions with no luck.

Arrgh. What a pain.
    "My heart, which is so full to overflowing, has often been solaced and refreshed by music when sick and weary."
    -Martin Luther

Default Re: Mastitis- bad advice and new issue

I know your frustration mama, I'm on abx for mastitis right now (my 1st case, hopefully my last). I started off w/ a clogged duct, then it turned into a "bleb" on my nipple, then mastitis. The pain on my nipple is there everytime she latches on...anyways, Keep bfing on that side to completely empty the breast, making sure LO has a good latch, so that a) you could avoid getting re-occurring clogged ducts, b) to get rid of the infection. The abx would also help especially if you still have a lingering fever. I was told that by my pedi that I didn't have to pump and dump because if it's safe enough to bf off that side, then it's ok to keep that milk.

Be aware of 2 things: 1) if you keep bf off the affected side, and if your nipple cracks, keep it very clean, put ointment, air it out, rinse w/water and baking soda (some say salt but I think that'd burn ), disinfect clothes that come in contact,etc 2) the abx sometimes may cause thrush (especially if there's an opened crack/sore) or yeast infections. To avoid it as much as possible, I did 1) above and take probiotics (such as yogurt).

Oh, and also take a look at your diet. Eating foods high in fat can cause clogged ducts. Drink plenty of water and don't wear anything too tight/constrictin. I'd been wearing a bra a lot lately instead of my tangtops w/elastic bra-like lining, so I don't know if that had something to do with it

As far as anything to cite...I'll get back to you on that...in the meantime other mamas probably have really good links, or you could check webMD.com.
    I hope you start feeling better mama mastitis is the pits!
    I'm a SAHM to
    #1 Alyssa 5/26/09 BF for exactly 25 1/2mths
    #2 Emily 11/7/11 completely self-weaned as of 7/19/13
    Dealt with recurring clogged ducts, mastitis, OALD/OS, and baby reflux with both girls
    #3 Victoria 12/16/13

New sights, new goals, new directions...

This is from webmd.com:
    Breast-feeding from your affected breast is safe for your baby and helps to treat your mastitis.

This is from askdrsears.com:
    Breastfeed frequently on the affected side. If it hurts to nurse the baby, start the feeding on the breast that is not sore, and switch to the sore side after your milk lets down. Breastfeeding is usually more comfortable when the milk is flowing. It's important to empty the inflamed breast. As in other parts of the body, fluid that is trapped can get infected. Your baby can empty your breast more efficiently than a breast pump. However, if your baby is not nursing well, you may have to use a breast pump or hand expression to get the milk out.
    Last edited by @llli*juliet1; November 15th, 2009 at 08:52 PM.
    I'm a SAHM to
    Dealt with recurring clogged ducts, mastitis, OALD/OS, and baby reflux with both girls
    #3 Victoria 12/16/13

http://www.kellymom.com/bf/concerns/mom/mastitis.html

And the big gun source - the AAP. The PA needs to know she is dead wrong and to stop giving out horrible advice:

http://aap.org/breastfeeding/curricu...20Problems.ppt

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*sixyearplan View Post
    And the big gun source - the AAP. The PA needs to know she is dead wrong and to stop giving out horrible advice:
    Especially when it's something that could easily become more serious requiring hospitalization.
    I'm a SAHM to
    #3 Victoria 12/16/13

Oh hugs to both of you that have mastitis right now!! UGH!!

I started taking Soy Lecithen in gel cap form...supposedly, it's supposed to make the milk in the ducts not as sticky so that you don't get clogs. Not sure if it's true...but figured it couldn't hurt.

http://www.bellaonline.com/articles/art29588.asp

As always, be sure to check with your dr. or midwife prior to taking this.
    -Andrea

EP for my surroguy since 7/16/2009

Thanks for the resources! I think the AAP one will do the trick. By the way, DS got that second plug out in the middle of the night- just like the first one. That must be his best nursing time. I took the boppy to bed and actually sat up to nurse the infected side to make sure the latch was good. We're usually lazy about that in the middle of the night and that's probably what caused the mastitis in the first place. I just didn't notice the original plug.

I'm a little nervous about "correcting" someone like that, though. Guess I have a few days to figure out how to be tactful about it.
    "My heart, which is so full to overflowing, has often been solaced and refreshed by music when sick and weary."
    -Martin Luther

So glad you got the plug out!!!
    -Andrea

EP for my surroguy since 7/16/2009