Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Nurse and Pump... what to do?

Default Nurse and Pump... what to do?

I am pumping after I nurse just to keep the stimulation going so I have an oz here and there after I pump. I use this to bottle feed him at night (so my husband can feed). My question is because I try to pump after I nurse or at least 3-4 times a day. I have about 3-4 bottle of an oz/2 oz of breast milk stored in the fridge. If i alternate nurse and bottle breast milk in the day, is that okay? I don't want the breast milk I pump eventhough it's not a lot be a waste. I know BM can be stored in the fridge up to 5 days and longer in the freezer but given it's only an oz here or there, is it worth freezing it or should I just feed him?

Default Re: Nurse and Pump... what to do?

I am pumping after I nurse just to keep the stimulation going so I have an oz here and there after I pump. I use this to bottle feed him at night (so my husband can feed)
    If you are willing to nurse on demand, this routine should not be necessary unless you want to build up a freezer stash.

Other than wanting your husband to get a chance to feed the baby, is there any reason why you feel like you want to do this?

If i alternate nurse and bottle breast milk in the day, is that okay?
    Your baby is just 2 weeks old, right? That's very early to start with bottles. Generally moms start later because they don't want their babies to develop nipple confusion. Nipple confusion is a preference for the bottle- it's easier for a baby to get milk from a bottle than it is from the breast, and many babies rapidly discover this and begin to reject the breast.

If you want to give a bottle, I would do no more than 1 bottle/day, since that will reduce the risk of nipple confusion.

If you want to alternate bottle and breast- which I would not suggest!- you need to pump every time you give a bottle, since that's the only way you will maintain your supply.

I don't want the breast milk I pump eventhough it's not a lot be a waste. I know BM can be stored in the fridge up to 5 days and longer in the freezer but given it's only an oz here or there, is it worth freezing it or should I just feed him?
    You can combine milk from different pumping sessions after it has been chilled. That way you can add your total day's output together and get one good-sized bottle which can be stored in the fridge of the freezer.
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

Default Re: Nurse and Pump... what to do?

I'm Melanie and back to being a SAHM again... which is lovely!
    Mom to DD1 Peyton born June 22, 2009 @ 4:40pm (39 weeks & 6 Days) 7 lbs & 6 Oz... Successfully BF for 25 months!
    Mom to DD2 Sadie born March 3, 2012 @ 1:44am (39 weeks & 1 day) 6 lbs & 9 Oz