Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: when does breast milk fully come in?

Default when does breast milk fully come in?

my newborn will be 2 weeks old tomorrow but my breast milk is still very very little. I tried squeezing my nipple and barely anything come out (not a full on squirk or flow- just sipping coming out for the ducts). When I pump, i only get an oz on both side... I was told sometimes it takes longer for milk to come fully in but it's been 2 weeks now... isn't this suppose to be ready?

I'm concern that I don't have enough for my lil' one.. !

HELP!

Default Re: when does breast milk fully come in?

Hi mama! Milk is produced on a supply and demand basis. How many times in a 24 hour period are you nursing your LO (should be nursing at least 8-12 times in a 24 hour period)? How many wet and dirty diapers does he/she have in a 24 hour period? What was his/her discharge weight? Has he/she been to the doctor to get weighed recently?

Sorry for all the questions, but just need to get more information so we can help you!

ETA: Pumping is also not a good indicator of supply
    Last edited by @llli*ethans-mommy; November 15th, 2009 at 02:57 PM.
    I'm Anna
    Proud mama to my 2 little high needs "koala bears":

Ethan born 8/23/08
    Bfed for 22 months, weaned with love 7/2010

Lucas, born 1/6/11
    Nursing strong for 19 MONTHS!

Cloth diapering 1 full-time even though I'm constantly ! Currently in potty training mode. We also and

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*wantwothree View Post
    my newborn will be 2 weeks old tomorrow but my breast milk is still very very little. I tried squeezing my nipple and barely anything come out (not a full on squirk or flow- just sipping coming out for the ducts). When I pump, i only get an oz on both side... I was told sometimes it takes longer for milk to come fully in but it's been 2 weeks now... isn't this suppose to be ready?

I'm concern that I don't have enough for my lil' one.. !

HELP!
    Congrats!

Normally it takes about a week for milk to come in I think . Just squeezing the nipple won't give you a good idea, and pumping isn't accurate either. If you want to check, squeeze the entire breast moving towards the nipple and sometimes a stream will come out. Can you feel the milk coming out when you bf (called a let-down)?
    Don't worry mama, LO is probably getting enough. The way to tell is by counting the wet and dirty diapers.
    Do you have a check up w/pedi any time soon? If so, when LO is weighed you'll know. Until then, count those diapers!
    Are you feeding on demand? If so, then LO is definitely getting enough.
    Sorry, one last question: does your LO have a paci or take a bottle? If so, that really won't allow your supply to begin to establish for what baby needs because your body isn't being as stimulated as it would be if LO was at the breast. I don't know if that's why it recommended to NOT introduce those until after 4 wks of age . in addition to it possibly causing nipple confusion if mama plans to bf/ebf)
    I'm a SAHM to
    #1 Alyssa 5/26/09 BF for exactly 25 1/2mths
    #2 Emily 11/7/11 completely self-weaned at 20 mths
    #3 Victoria 12/16/13

New sights, new goals, new directions...

Milk generally "comes in" 2-5 days after birth. Milk "coming in" refers to the changeover from clear, yellowish colostrum to whitish milk- if you see milk and are able to express milk, then your milk did come in.

During the first few weeks after birth, milk supply gets established, which means that a nice feedback loop is set up wherein the mom produces milk, the baby drinks it, and the mom produces more in about the right amount. Many moms get terrified thinking that if they don't establish a "good supply" within a few weeks of birth, then there's no hope for them, which just isn't true. Barring physical problems which inhibit milk production, your milk supply can increase at any time.

As the PP said, not getting much milk when pumping or hand-expressing is not an indication of poor supply, since a) not all moms respond well to the pump, b) not all pumps are equally good at removing milk, and c) the baby is much better at getting milk from the breast than the pump is. That being said, getting 2 oz when pumping- 1 oz from each side- is okay with a 2 week-old baby, who is probably drinking about that much at a feeding. And as the PP said, counting diapers is a much better way to judge milk input than pumping is: good diaper output = good milk input.
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"