Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Trying to build freezer supply....

Default Trying to build freezer supply....

My son is 6 weeks old and we have primarily been breastfeeding...I would like to start a freezer supply so I have something to fall back on. My problem is, he takes both sides and when I try to pump after feeding I have nothing left to give! We are mainly on a 3 hour schedule, and I'm just not sure when I should pump after we are done?

Default Re: Trying to build freezer supply....

! I built my stash by pumping in the morning, about 45 minutes after DS's first morning feeding. I did the thing of pumping for 5 minutes after the milk stopped flowing, to give my body the idea that it needed to up production at that time. And - this is important - I did it every day, about the same time, so that I was "adding a feeding". No days off. It took a couple of weeks for my body to ramp it all the way up, and then I got almost a full feeding's worth at every pumping.
    Imma to AA, born at home 11/12/07 , juggling , working, APing , cloth diapering , - and . I'm done - yay!

http://bf.lilypie.com/KmpEm6.png

I've been doing the same thing the previous poster mentioned. At first I was only pumping one side in the morning (because my baby fed on one side after sleeping through the night, and there was enough milk to make her happy and I was left with one full breast) - but I finally started pumping on both sides at the same time no matter how much she took from one or both sides and my output has increased dramatically after a week or so.

Good advice from the PPs.

Are you pumping for a return to work, or are you just interested in building an emergency stash in case you have to be away from the baby for a few hours?
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

I'm building a supply to go back to work...but I'm afraid I won't even be able to pump enough when I'm at work to keep it up.

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*sarahg978 View Post
    I'm building a supply to go back to work...but I'm afraid I won't even be able to pump enough when I'm at work to keep it up.
    Why? I noticed that you said that you are "primarily breastfeeding". Does that mean that mean you are supplementing with formula?

Do you mean that you're worried you won't be able to pump enough milk or that your employer won't allow you enough time to pump the milk?
    Tracie

Mommy to
    Lilah 10/08 nursed 25 months
    Beatrix 01/11 nursed 30 months

What sort of pump do you have? Not every pump is right for every mom.

This is a good link on increasing pump output: http://www.kellymom.com/bf/pumping/p..._decrease.html
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*sarahg978 View Post
    Do you have work circumstances that make it hard to get to pump, or are you afraid you won't be able to produce enough?

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*mommy2lilah View Post
    Why? I noticed that you said that you are "primarily breastfeeding". Does that mean that mean you are supplementing with formula?

Do you mean that you're worried you won't be able to pump enough milk or that your employer won't allow you enough time to pump the milk?
    I have not been supplementing, a couple times I have expressed and bottle fed...although it's never more than an ounce, which was good in the beginning but not now. I just started getting serious about eating my oatmeal everyday with brewer's yeast (not great, but I do it for my baby!) and flax seed so my freezer supply is SLOWLY growing. As I can only pump about an ounce at a time, I have to combine batches. Another one of my concerns is what you mentioned, I am worried that I will not be able to pump enough milk to sustain my son and that my boss won't give me the time.

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*mommal View Post
    What sort of pump do you have? Not every pump is right for every mom.

This is a good link on increasing pump output: http://www.kellymom.com/bf/pumping/p..._decrease.html
    I have a Medela Pump in Style Advanced? I just recently got smaller breast shields and noticed a little improvement. WOW!!!! That link you sent me is exactly what my problem is!!! That definitely puts my mind at ease, thank you!!!
    Last edited by @llli*sarahg978; November 18th, 2009 at 07:02 AM.