Has anyone considered donating their extra breastmilk? www.HMBANA.org

Default Re: Donating Breastmilk

wow I never heard of that, that's awesome
    Melanie
    Proud Army Wife to James
    Loving Mommy to DS Gavin: March 16, 2006 and DSS Cody: Feb 13, 1998
    Banners/Photos/HC

I wanted to so badly ... I had a massive oversupply that I was unknowingly making worse by pumping (or, rather, knowingly - but I kept at it on the advice of a bad lactation consultant). Since we don't do bottles or expressed milk feeds, I accumulated a stash in the freezer of over 700 oz!! But because I had thrush for 3 months I wasn't able to donate it. I just threw it all out last month ... oh, that killed me seeing all that liquid gold go to waste when so many babies need breast milk so badly.

Mama to Adeline Brett, breastfed for 4.5 years (12/14/05) and little Eliza June, new tiny sprite in my arms and still learning the ropes (7/18/10)

Family Blog • If I'm here I'm nursing and typing one handed ... forgive the typos!
    And I'm not a newbie at all ... I'm trying to get my old user ID working from back in the day ... paint-the-moon

Smile Re: Donating Breastmilk

What matters is that you wanted to! You had other babies' health in mind, and didn't want to transmit thrush!
    I hate even wasting one drop of my own milk, so I'm sure that was a loss for you!
    I'm glad that you had extra to share! I'm currently in the process of relactating... so I could use some spare milk! I'm only making 1/2 oz. per day!
    Keep up the good work, and milk!

Wow, I just checked out your website! What a beautiful display of pictures! I can tell how much you love your daughter!

Wow, that's so crazy! I assume the milk isn't pasturized when you buy it "black market" either... I would rather just give it away, personally! It's just sad that every baby can't have their own mommie's milk!

Thanks for posting. This is really neat. I've always heard of donating milk but wasn't sure how to do it. DS and I are coming up on the one year mark and I'm sure I'll have some extra milk from there on out.

That's great Maia! I hope you'll enjoy "sharing!"

I am a breastmilk donor. I average 100 oz a month to our local milk bank. It is such a great feeling knowing that your helping out preemie and/or sick babies. As the mom of a preemie, I know first hand the benefits of breastmilk, she has not had a ounce of formula since she left the NICU on 10/21/2005, which I am extremly proud of. They are pretty strict on what can be donated due to drug interactions with preemies. They usually will not take any breastmilk if your baby is over a year old due to it does not have the calories that a preemie would need, some will for their outpaitents, but usually the cut off is 1 year. I know if I take some tylenol or sinus meds, the milk I pump out for the next 8 hours cannot be donated, I have two diffrent areas in my freezer, one for donation to the mothers milk bank, and the other that they cannot use due to I was sick, DD was sick, I took some medications that is on their list not to take or I took a herbal something or other and donate for a certian time, etc.....It's really easy, all it takes is a blood test. BTW, what the milk bank doesen't get, my sister gets for her daughter, she comes up short pumping at work and instead of supplementing with formula, she supplements with mine. Since shes my sister, we don't have a problem with doing it. I know the LLL stance is against sharing of milk or cross nursing, but in my opinion, it is everyones personal decision.
    Last edited by babygirlsmom1005; September 20th, 2006 at 09:35 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Carrie'sMommy
    Wow, that's so crazy! I assume the milk isn't pasturized when you buy it "black market" either... I would rather just give it away, personally! It's just sad that every baby can't have their own mommie's milk!
    It isn't pasturized, the equipment for that is extremly expensive. I know here in Texas it is illegal to sell breastmilk, I know it goes on, but I rather donate it, I would rather give the gift than sell it.