Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: How can I get my baby to breastfeed.. or can I just continue to pump?

Default How can I get my baby to breastfeed.. or can I just continue to pump?

My 10 day old is not very good at nursing because I gave up after a few days because my nipples were sore. I started to pump and give it to him and liked doing it that way much better. Now I'm just worried my milk supply will deplete but he isn't going back to breastfeeding well. Should I just keep pumping?

Default Re: How can I get my baby to breastfeed.. or can I just continue to pump?

First off, I want to say you are in the right place. There are several mamas here who started out pumping and then got the baby back to the breast. It can be done. There's also some mamas here who exclusively pumped, and they fed their babies breastmilk for the duration.

Regarding the soreness, some, IMHO, is normal for the first 7-10 days. But, it should only hurt for the first 30-60 seconds and then stop hurting. Any pain after that, during the feeding or after the feeding generally means the latch has problems and/or you/baby have thrush.

Link to nipple problems:
    http://www.llli.org/NB/NBnippleproblems.html

Link to information on getting the baby back to the breast:
    http://www.llli.org/FAQ/back.html

Information on supply
    http://www.llli.org/NB/NBmilksupplyissues.html
    Susan
    Mama to my all-natural boys: Ian, 9-4-04, 11.5 lbs; Colton, 11-7-06, 9 lbs, in the water; Logan, 12-8-08, 9 lbs; Gavin, 1-18-11, 9 lbs; and an angel 1-15-06
    18+ months and for Gavin, born with an incomplete cleft lip and incomplete posterior cleft palate
    Sealed for time and eternity, 7-7-93
    Always babywearing, cosleeping and cloth diapering. Living with oppositional defiant disorder and ADHD. Ask me about cloth diapering and sewing your own diapers!

Default Re: How can I get my baby to breastfeed.. or can I just continue to pump?

The pp gave you some great links!! It can definitely be done. I suggest contacting your local LLL leader because mother to mother support is great for helping you nurse your lo. And if you have trouble getting lo back to breast it would probably be best to see an IBCLC. Breastfeeding should not be painful though some women feel tenderness in the early days. If it's really painful it might be good to talk to the lactation consultant to see if there is a problem with his latch.
    ~ Theresa
    wife to Mike and mommy to Clara (9-5-08) 2 years and going strong!!

with everything the previous posts have recommended, in particular seeing the IBCLC if there's a problem getting the baby to nurse. I know nursing is challenging now, but in the long run it is SO MUCH EASIER than exclusive pumping. Give this your all right now, and you'll reap the rewards for months and years to come.

Here's another useful link on getting baby back to the breast: http://www.kellymom.com/bf/concerns/...to-breast.html
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

I had similar problems - very sore nipples due to latching issues (tongue-tied) and so I resorted to exclusive pumping (for 4 weeks) and then had a hard time getting my daughter back to the breast. One thing that really helped me was using nipple shields. Some people don't like them but they saved breastfeeding for us and I was able to 'wean' her from the shields by 3 months.
    Good Luck!

i was in the same boat as the previous post. I began pumping only because I was terribly sore and she wouldn't really latch on. After about a month I started noticing my milk supply decreasing and was so worried it was drying up. Someone mentioned the nipple shields and they worked wonders. I only used them for about 2 weeks and no longer need them at all. I also have noticed that my milk supply has increased to keep up. I still pump one side while she nurses just so I can have some supply built up for when its time to return to work. You can totally do it!
    Crystal

First time mommy to Kylie Grace 9/29/09

Birth: 5 lbs 15 ozs
    take home: 5 lbs 10 ozs
    1 week: 6 lbs 5 ozs
    2 weeks: 6 lbs 14 ozs
    2 Months: 9 lbs 12 ozs
    4 Months: 12 lbs 11 ozs

Began only but now and loving every minute!