Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: How can you tell?

Question How can you tell?

If your milk supply is getting low? I mean obviously if you are drying up that must be easy right? You would squeeze and get nothing... but my breasts just do not get that "FULL" feeling anymore kwim? I don't get that "HEAVY" feeling... my plan is to go at least til one year, so I am SO not ready to wean or "dry up" yet... I know I can take fenugreek, but I want to make sure I need it first lol and that I am not just worried over nothing... thanks!
    Melanie
    Proud Army Wife to James
    Loving Mommy to DS Gavin: March 16, 2006 and DSS Cody: Feb 13, 1998
    Banners/Photos/HC

Default Re: How can you tell?

I'm off to bed (well, I'm in bed already - LOL - but I'm actually going to join my LO here in slumber) in a minute, so very quickly ...

Number of diapers the same / adequete?

Baby seems satisfied after nursing?

Weight is gain good?

Then your supply is good!

Feeling full all the time is not the norm! I noticed a change around the 4 month mark and then again at 7 months ... each time I kind of panicked thinking my supply was low or suddenly dropped. But my body was just regulating itself to more efficiently meet my baby's exact needs. Be assured that as long as you nurse on demand your body will make the amount of milk your baby needs!

Kellymom states:

"Often, mothers think that their milk supply is low when it really isn't. If your baby is gaining weight well on breastmilk alone, then you do not have a problem with milk supply.

It's important to note that the feel of the breast, the behavior of your baby, the frequency of nursing, the sensation of let-down, or the amount you pump are not valid ways to determine if you have enough milk for your baby."

Take a look at this page for more information:

Breast Changes

Breasts Feel Soft!

HTH!!

Mama to Adeline Brett, breastfed for 4.5 years (12/14/05) and little Eliza June, new tiny sprite in my arms and still learning the ropes (7/18/10)

Family Blog • If I'm here I'm nursing and typing one handed ... forgive the typos!
    And I'm not a newbie at all ... I'm trying to get my old user ID working from back in the day ... paint-the-moon

thanks hun and I cannot really go by number of diapers cause he is cloth diapered and changed less often than when he was in disposables, but yeah they are pretty soaked
    Melanie
    Proud Army Wife to James
    Banners/Photos/HC

Quote Originally Posted by GavinsMommy
    thanks hun and I cannot really go by number of diapers cause he is cloth diapered and changed less often than when he was in disposables, but yeah they are pretty soaked
    Yeah, I'm still awake ... will be kicking myself when Addie decides to wake up at 2am again!

For cloth diapers (Yay You!!) I think it's 5-6 wet a day for older babies (LLL says 6-8, but that I think is for young babies). But they should be REALLY WET.

Kellymom says:

Baby (older than 6 weeks) should wet at least 4-5 disposable diapers (5-6 cloth diapers) every 24 hours and the diapers should be really wet. At all ages, urine should be pale and mild smelling. As baby grows, so also does his bladder and its ability to hold more urine. For this reason, your baby may not wet as often as he did as a newborn, but typically the diapers will be wetter than when baby was younger. To feel what a sufficiently wet diaper is like, pour 4-6 tablespoons (60-90 mL) of water into a clean diaper (but keep in mind that if baby wets more often, then the amount of urine per diaper will be less). It's also normal for diapers to be wetter in the morning, especially with older babies. (Ain't that the truth ... I actually weighed one of Addie's nighttime nappies in the morning - both out of curiosity and to help me select a new pocket insert - and that sucker weighed over 16 oz! Must be those 8 night time nursings!! I have to use the heavy duty inserts and soakers at night ... the girl can barely walk/crawl once I put her night time nappie on! )

Mama to Adeline Brett, breastfed for 4.5 years (12/14/05) and little Eliza June, new tiny sprite in my arms and still learning the ropes (7/18/10)

Family Blog • If I'm here I'm nursing and typing one handed ... forgive the typos!
    And I'm not a newbie at all ... I'm trying to get my old user ID working from back in the day ... paint-the-moon

see the only thing in there that is not "true" for us, is mostly an overnight dipe will, but his urine whew you can smell the ammonia, but I have been told that has to do with cloth diapers, so I dunno, so should I actually be concerned? he is gaining weight tho, not as much as before but he is of course
    Melanie
    Proud Army Wife to James
    Banners/Photos/HC

bump for last response.... and also... if I am on my second visit from AF now, could that mean I am not nursing enough? I thought you didn't get AF if you were nursing full time? *hides behind the newbie sign*
    Melanie
    Proud Army Wife to James
    Banners/Photos/HC

bump for last response.... and also... if I am on my second visit from AF now, could that mean I am not nursing enough? I thought you didn't get AF if you were nursing full time? *hides behind the newbie sign*
    Everything sound fine to me. Is his urine dark yellow color or pale? It shouldn't be a noticeable darker yellow color, but rather a pale tone. Everything else though sounds as if you guys are doing just fine. Breastfed babies are known for having their weight gain taper off gradually. This happened with us too, and it's perfectly normal.

Many moms - even those who feed on demand and around the clock - will see the return of AF early on. This isn't anything to be concerned about. You may find this information more reassuring and helpful:

Menstruation and Breastfeeding

HTH!

thank you! I really dunno what I'd do without you all lol whenever I try to look something up I find nothing or something that makes me worry more LMAO

his urine isn't really dark, just strong at times
    Melanie
    Proud Army Wife to James
    Banners/Photos/HC

thank you! I really dunno what I'd do without you all lol whenever I try to look something up I find nothing or something that makes me worry more LMAO

his urine isn't really dark, just strong at times
    I think that if it's just strong smelling *sometimes* and pale, and that's the only thing that is amiss then you guys are just stellar!

ok thanks hun
    Melanie
    Proud Army Wife to James
    Banners/Photos/HC