Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Very long thawing time

Default Very long thawing time

Hi,

This is my first time posting, although I've been reading the posts for a while and have found them very helpful (so thanks!).

I know that thawed breastmilk is good in the fridge for up to 24 hours from when it finishes thawing. The resources I've checked, however, seem to suggest that it will take around 12 hrs to thaw. I put two 3-oz. bottles in our fridge last night, and they still are mostly frozen. I'm afraid it may take up to 36 hours for them to thaw completely. Is the milk still good, or is it problematic that some of the milk in those bottles will have been thawed for over 24 hours? Is the 24-hour recommendation related to bacteria forming in the bottles, or to a weakening of the immunological benefits of breastmilk?

Thanks!

Default Re: Very long thawing time

and ! First of all, my LC told me that the 24-hour countdown begins when there are few to no ice crystals left in the milk, because it starts to "age" once it gets warm enough to be fully thawed (and it isn't that warm as long as there is still some milk-ice).

Secondly, while you can definitely thaw bm in the fridge, if you want to thaw it faster / more predictably you can put it in a bowl of hot (NOT boiling!! but hot from the tap) water. I froze my milk in 2-3oz portions in bags, and froze the bags flat instead of standing up so that the milk was in a long thin sheet. Those puppies would thaw within minutes in the bowl, and I could pour them into bottles for when I was at work.

And lastly, if you are ever worried about your milk, do a sniff (or taste) test. You may not have ever smelled "off" milk before, but if your milk is too old, you will definitely be able to tell!
    Imma to AA, born at home 11/12/07 , juggling , working, APing , cloth diapering , - and . I'm done - yay!

http://bf.lilypie.com/KmpEm6.png

Thanks for the tip! Warmed it up in a bowl today (actually the babysitter did) w/no problems.

Oh! And thanks for the warm welcome too!

Glad it worked for you!
    Imma to AA, born at home 11/12/07 , juggling , working, APing , cloth diapering , - and . I'm done - yay!

http://bf.lilypie.com/KmpEm6.png

I was also wondering about milk thawing time. 12 hours/overnight was also too short of a time for me.

I have milk stored in 80 ml bottles and want to thaw in the fridge because I need to use about half the milk at a time. I ended up pouring out the thawed milk to use and leaving the icy/frozen milk in there longer.

Good to know that the 24 hour rule starts after there are no more ice crystals in the bottle!

How long do others allow for thawing in the fridge?