Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: New Mom Pumping questions - leaking around shields and position

Default New Mom Pumping questions - leaking around shields and position

I am a new mom to a two week old. I just started pumping and I am having trouble with milk leaking through the shields while pumping. Instead of going into the storage container it goes backwards. It seems if I lean way forward it helps, but it is extremely uncomfortable. What can I do to prevent this? I tried switching to the softfit shields, but that didn't seem to help.

Also, while pumping my milk stops coming out if I take the the pump off and reposition it I start getting milk again. Is this normal?

Thanks for help!

Default Re: New Mom Pumping questions - leaking around shields and position

Two weeks is a little early to start pumping if you can avoid it. Are you trying to build a stash for going back to work?

What kind of pump are you using?

Yes, the milk should only come out while the suction is on.

It sounds like either the horns are not tight enough against your breasts, or that the horn (the part that goes on the breast) is too big or too small. Your nipple should get drawn into the small part of the horn and not get stuck on the sides.

I am trying to build a stash for when I go back to work. I am so worried, I won't be able to continue breast feeding when I go back to work.

I have the medela pump in style.

The milk comes out in the containers, but also pools right in front of my nipple. If I lean forward it will fall into the bottle, but I just can't sit like that the whole time.

My nipple does get stuck on the sides some times. When I first start pumping it seems the shields or horns are the correct size, but then my nipples get larger while pumping. Toward the end of pumping my nipple start to hurt.

I have Medela PIS as well (the Advanced).

That happens to me sometimes too - the milk pooling. I've found that I can just let it sit there and then when I'm reading to disengage everything, I lean a bit forward to let stuff run into the container. Sometimes just adjusting how the horns sit (pulling down on them a little) helps stop the pooling. I haven't really had problems with leaking.

You could try a slightly larger horn if you think your nipples are getting a bit constricted - that would make the pumping less effective. The Medela pumps usually come with pretty small horns.

Just be careful about pumping too much so early on. The first several weeks is when your supply is being established. You don't want to end up with the opposite problem - an oversupply!

I have always had the same problem with milk running backwards if I don't lean forward far enough. Very annoying, and I have never found a way to fix it (sorry to be discouraging).

Are you pumping both sides at once? I've found it is much easier to pump one side at a time. It may take more time, but is much more comfortable, IMO.
    ~Sylvia~

Wife to Nick, m. May 2005

Mommy to Gabriel (b. January 2007, 8lbs. 15oz.), nursed 18 months.

Isaac (b. August 2009, 9lbs. 1oz- naturally), nursed 22 months, through PPD/PPA and emergency gallbladder surgery.

and Corban (b. March 2012, 11lbs. 6Oz.- naturally in the water), my NICU baby, still nursing strong at age 2!

Daughter of God