Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Confused!

Default Confused!

Hello,

I started work 4 weeks ago and have been pumping once a day in an 8 hr work day since then. I get about 6-7 oz each time I pump and my now 11 week old baby consumes about 4 oz of pumped milk each time. He needs about 3-4 bottles when he is away from me during the day. And then I exclusively bf him right from the time I get home till the next day. I also pump once before I leave to work .So I am actually pumping about 3 times in a day with a total output of 20-22 oz

Well, my question is since I am able to pump only once during the day would my milk supply become less over time? I really want to provide him with bm till he reaches his first b'day atleast,but I am just not able to pump more than once during work. We do not have a seperate room which I can use and I actually go to another office, who were kind enough to let me use their conference room even when I am not their employee!I have been able to keep up with his feedings so far but I fear that my supply would soon reduce.

I have also noticed that whether I pump twice in a day or once after a longer duration the output remains more or less the same. Can I continue in this manner or should I be doing something different?

Please help!!

Default Re: Confused!

Well, my question is since I am able to pump only once during the day would my milk supply become less over time?
    Possibly. Many moms find that if they don't pump/nurse frequently, their output drops during the hours when they cannot remove milk. The good news is that your body has a terrific internal clock, and even if you experience a supply decrease during the workday, your body will know to make enough milk for your baby's needs when you're with him.

I have also noticed that whether I pump twice in a day or once after a longer duration the output remains more or less the same. Can I continue in this manner or should I be doing something different?
    This is a hard one to answer, since the answer would be different for every mom. You sort of have to tinker with your routine and see what works for you. If what you're doing isn't working, then it's time to try something else.
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"