Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: 5 mo. old not gaining enough weight?

Question 5 mo. old not gaining enough weight?

My five month old has been bf on demand since birth, but at her four month check up her ped. informed us she'd only gained 5 oz. (she was then 12 lbs 12 oz) I just had another check up yesterday and she's only gained another 4 oz. The ped. (who I'm not very impressed with) told me at both check ups to pump/measure/bottlefeed my dd to see how much she's getting. I really don't want to bottlefeed, since when she was a newborn we had problems nursing after she took a pacifier. Other than her not gaining, she's fine. She's happy, healthy, and hitting all of her milestones.

We started out on rice cereal a few weeks ago to see if we could get her weight up. She ate that for a week, then decided she hated it. So I don't force it. I'll offer and if she won't eat it, then I bf. So, since I can't supplement with cereal on a regular basis, and I'm not interested in formula at all, are there any suggestions on what I should do to get her weight up? Oh, and I do pump to put milk in her cereal. But I can only pump out 2 oz at the most, the pump just doesn't seem to work all that well for me because I can tell there's more in there.

Default Re: 5 mo. old not gaining enough weight?

I say ditch the cereal, and nurse, nurse, nurse. On kellymom.com, on the "is my baby ready for solids?" link(at work now, can't get to that site), it says that "ounce for ounce, breastmilk has more calories than most babysafe solid foods and significantly more nutrients than any type of solid food that you can feed your baby". As long as she's reaching milestones like she is, she should be OK. Alot of peds are used to formula fed babys when it comes to weight percentiles so the chart he's going by may be not valid. I'm sure some of the more experienced mom's will have some more thoughts too.
    Last edited by @llli*turtle23; November 13th, 2009 at 12:56 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*gamer-mom View Post
    My five month old has been bf on demand since birth, but at her four month check up her ped. informed us she'd only gained 5 oz. (she was then 12 lbs 12 oz) I just had another check up yesterday and she's only gained another 4 oz. The ped. (who I'm not very impressed with) told me at both check ups to pump/measure/bottlefeed my dd to see how much she's getting. I really don't want to bottlefeed, since when she was a newborn we had problems nursing after she took a pacifier. Other than her not gaining, she's fine. She's happy, healthy, and hitting all of her milestones.

We started out on rice cereal a few weeks ago to see if we could get her weight up. She ate that for a week, then decided she hated it. So I don't force it. I'll offer and if she won't eat it, then I bf. So, since I can't supplement with cereal on a regular basis, and I'm not interested in formula at all, are there any suggestions on what I should do to get her weight up? Oh, and I do pump to put milk in her cereal. But I can only pump out 2 oz at the most, the pump just doesn't seem to work all that well for me because I can tell there's more in there.

Obviously - your pediatrician doesn't know much about breastfeeding (which isn't a big surprise )

The pump is not a reliable source to indicate what your baby is getting from you. Your baby will be much more efficient at the breast and you're much more responsive to baby than the pump

Having said that.. cereal is very lacking in nutritional value so you may want to, as the previous poster said "ditch" the cereal all together and stick with what we know to be more nutritious than anything else baby could get: breastmilk (see more here)

You can check out this link and this link as they may give you info you might find useful

This link also might be sueful to you with regard to an infants expected growth rate Actual growth (while important for some things) isn't as important as seeing baby stay on a solid curve. What did she start out at?

Last edited by @llli*number4; November 13th, 2009 at 01:16 PM.
    Click here to find an LLL leader near you...or call 1 877 4 LA LECHE for help now.

"No one can make you feel inferior without your consent."
    Eleanor Roosevelt

"Do not go where the path may lead, go instead where there is no path and leave a trail."
    Emerson

Ban the bags. ......... Watch your language. ....... Help keep Dr Newman's clinic open!

We demand that our childcare providers are CPR certified... why don't we demand the same of ourselves! Get certified!

I lost 22 lbs in 8 months... with a bit of determination and common sense information from this book.

She started out as 9 lbs 5 oz. And by two months she was 12 lbs 3 oz... so somewhere in there she slowed way down on the growth chart.

It's very very normal for large at birth babies to fall on the growth chart down to the size person are meant to be. Large at birth does not mean a large person later.

The weight you described at two months sounded good. My 7 lb baby only weighed 9 at two months. Quite distressing.

How is diaper output? Good wets = good amount of milk. meeting milestones? Happy?

How many times a day are you nursing?

I second the suggestion of not doing solids yet. All that does is fill baby up with a food that doesn't have sufficient fat and calories.

Did you get a chance to look at the links I gave?

You're bound to find some useful info there. My best guess is the drop in nursing sessions may attribute to some lack in gain. Are her diapers 'fine'? (output)

How was your birth experience? Did you have IV fliuds? Do you remember her hospital discharge weight?
    Click here to find an LLL leader near you...or call 1 877 4 LA LECHE for help now.

Eleanor Roosevelt

"Do not go where the path may lead, go instead where there is no path and leave a trail."
    Emerson

Ban the bags. ......... Watch your language. ....... Help keep Dr Newman's clinic open!

We demand that our childcare providers are CPR certified... why don't we demand the same of ourselves! Get certified!

I lost 22 lbs in 8 months... with a bit of determination and common sense information from this book.

I did look at the links, and they did have some good advice. Thanks!

I usually nurse her every 2-3 hours in the daytime, her nursing pattern at night is hard to tell, but it seems like she nurses all night long (we have a family bed, and I just latch her on and fall back asleep when she wakes up) but a good guess would be every 2 hours.

She has plenty of wet/bm diapers (according to that chart). As for the birth experience, it was complicated, and I did end up on an IV. I don't recall her weight when we left. But I don't think it was much higher than her birth weight.

My DD (6 mo) has had slow weight gain. If you want to use cereal try another type like oatmeal. Some kids just gain slowly. DD gets 2 bottles while I am at work and it has made no difference in her weight gain. She gets cereal and other wise we nurse nurse nurse.

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*gamer-mom View Post
    I did look at the links, and they did have some good advice. Thanks!

I usually nurse her every 2-3 hours in the daytime, her nursing pattern at night is hard to tell, but it seems like she nurses all night long (we have a family bed, and I just latch her on and fall back asleep when she wakes up) but a good guess would be every 2 hours.

She has plenty of wet/bm diapers (according to that chart). As for the birth experience, it was complicated, and I did end up on an IV. I don't recall her weight when we left. But I don't think it was much higher than her birth weight.
    My guess is it was probably lower... it usually is. And the reason that can be important is because that is really the place at which we should start measuring their growth. I think the amount of nursing she is doing sounds pretty much on target... does she ever just comfort nurse? If you want her to gain weight... you might want to consider loosing the cereal.

Eleanor Roosevelt

Emerson

Yeah, she does that. The more I think/learn, the more I'm leaning toward just giving up the cereal and bf only. Since she's acting fine, and seemingly healthy, I think I'll just put the whole "new mom worrying" on the shelf. Thanks for all the info!