Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Gift For Premie Mom & Baby?

Default Gift For Premie Mom & Baby?

An online friend just gave birth to her beautiful little girl at 26 weeks, 1 day.

I'd like to send her something. Babe won't be ready to come home until February, so there's lots of hospital time in their future. Any gift recommendations?
    Mommy to our DD1 early bird (34 weeks, 2 days, 7lbs, 14oz)! Oct. 2nd, 2008 Emergency C-Section, Frank Breech, HEALTHY Girl!
    Weaned @ 17 months
    Our DD2 early bird (37 weeks, 3 days, 7lbs, 12oz) Aug. 10th, 2010 Our Successful VBAC, growing like a bad weed!
    Weaned @ 15 months
    Our DD3 early bird (37 weeks, 3 days, 7lbs, 6oz) Feb. 16th, 2012 Our 2nd VBAC and lightening speedy birth!

Loving being a Mom of 3, 40 months apart!!
    and

Default Re: Gift For Premie Mom & Baby?

hmmm...is she spending most of her time at the hospital? It is hard to say because I know that all we needed/wanted was help. Help with food, help with cleaning, feeding our animals...because we were never home. Or sometimes on breaks from the hospital we would go to a restaurant nearby just to get out. Maybe gc to some restaurants that are close? then when baby is ready to come home you can get a little something then for the welcome home.

PS, you are very sweet to be thinking of them. Everyone we knew dropped off the face of the earth. Sometimes just being there and being supportive can be gift enough.
    I'm Hillary
    Wife to Gualberto
    Mom to Nolan
    Born at 32 weeks-3lbs/10oz
    11-25-2007
    Our precious early angel

Remember, you are not managing an inconvenience; You are raising a human being ~ Kittie Frantz
    Unthinking respect for authority is the greatest enemy of truth ~ Albert Einstein
    First they ignore you, then they ridicule you, then they fight you, then you win ~ Mahatma Gandhi
    Looking for more information about vaccines?

Thanks. She's very far away (flight far) so I'd never be able to get over to help her. So I found these:
    http://www.preemiesrus.com/catalog/p...oducts_id=1152
    What I liked is how it snaps around the arms and the body. Depending on what monitors and where the IVs are, this seemed to be the most accommodating.

Hopefully it will arrive quickly so I can ship it out to her right away.
    Mommy to our DD1 early bird (34 weeks, 2 days, 7lbs, 14oz)! Oct. 2nd, 2008 Emergency C-Section, Frank Breech, HEALTHY Girl!
    Weaned @ 17 months
    Our DD2 early bird (37 weeks, 3 days, 7lbs, 12oz) Aug. 10th, 2010 Our Successful VBAC, growing like a bad weed!
    Weaned @ 15 months
    Our DD3 early bird (37 weeks, 3 days, 7lbs, 6oz) Feb. 16th, 2012 Our 2nd VBAC and lightening speedy birth!

and

wow...I wish I would have known about those! It is very difficult with all the monitors and such. And they keep the isolettes so warm you really don't have to worry until you can start taking baby out.
    I'm Hillary
    Wife to Gualberto
    Mom to Nolan
    Born at 32 weeks-3lbs/10oz
    11-25-2007
    Our precious early angel

Remember, you are not managing an inconvenience; You are raising a human being ~ Kittie Frantz
    Unthinking respect for authority is the greatest enemy of truth ~ Albert Einstein
    First they ignore you, then they ridicule you, then they fight you, then you win ~ Mahatma Gandhi
    Looking for more information about vaccines?

She hasn't been able to hold her yet, but hopefully soon.
    Weaned @ 17 months
    Weaned @ 15 months

and

Great little outfits - it is so hard to dress the baby when they have all these wires and tubes going everywhere. And that's even when Owen finally started wearing clothes, just a few weeks before he came home.

One of the best things you can do for her is let her know you're willing to listen to her - she's going to have a very long road ahead of her with a baby born that early and things are going to be really up and down. Let her know you're willing to listen when she needs to vent. Generally speaking, our real-life friends didn't know what to say/how to help so most sort of quit talking to us. Oh, and think about her personality and how best you can respond to her. Everyone around us tended to want to "over-focus" on the little positive things that happened when he was in the NICU but I saw all these bigger hurdles to overcome and I needed my friends to understand that and not always say the minor positive things that were happening. And I joined a preemie support group online - preemie-l.org, your friend could benefit from that.

Keep us updated on how they are doing.
    Mommy to:

Emmalynn Marie
    Born at 37 weeks on 12/22/06
    5lbs 1oz 19 1/2in

Owen Charles
    Born at 29 wks 6 days on 01/17/09
    2lbs 14oz 15in
    In NICU for 2 months

When my son was in the NICU (only 6 weeks, I can't imagine how long she has to go through) a group at my husband's work got together and bought us gift cards to different restaurants and gas cards.

We were about an hour from the NICU so we were always needing to put gas in the car and always having to eat out- since we were never home and not close enough to drive back and forth for every meal. It was so nice to just sort through the cards and think, "Where do I want to eat today?" It was just one less thing to worry about in the pile of medical bills... food and gas.

We got a few soft *small* stuffed animal friends to sit with our son while we had to be away as gifts. He got one that he still to this day has to have with him. It was just a small lion toy that we sat next to him. We bought my nephew who was born at 29 a small puppy for his bed. He is now 5 and takes it everywhere with him, so maybe a small friend to be with the baby?

One of my friends said her friends got together and each scrapbooked a page for her sons NICU album and she loves it.... My mom and sister-in-law did that for me as well and I still to this day love to look through it, and I am not even into scrapbooks.

I realize that this is a really late response, but maybe someone will read this post looking for ideas.

There is a book called "The premature baby book" by Dr. Sears that is really amazing, and would be wonderful for any parent of a baby that will be in the NICU for a while. It is kind of like What to Expect When You're Expecting but for NICU parents. It explains all the tests, conditions, how NICU's work.. and has a lot of parent perspectives in it.

Also, the gift card idea is a great one.

A journal for the mom to write in every day while she sits at baby's bedside in the NICU

A nursing cover up so she can pump at the baby's bedside discreetly if she doesn't already have one, instead of having to pump in front in front of nurses or leave the NICU area to pump

Small stuffed animals are great too, good suggestion guys

Make the baby a large poster to hang on the wall showing the mom the baby is loved and supported

A large quilt to put over the isolette maybe with the baby's name on it and date of birth (Think adult lap blanket sized)

I am a NICU nurse and these are things I have seen mean a lot to our moms
    Kristin

Momma to Benjamin, we recently made it nursing to age 2!!!!

Benjamin born 9-17-09

An extra set of pumping pieces--or two extra sets! You feel like you will go insane pumping, washing, repeat. . .